Why isn't infidelity illegal?

NOt infidelity I mean adultery

dont you think it should be?
It's not based on religious reasons, it's just plain wrong and seems to cause problems. lots of problems.

so why isn't it illegal and do you think it should be? why or why not

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Relationships

• In mississippi, adultery is punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a $1000 fine. You can also file a law suit against the "mistress" if you can prove she/he knew there was a marriage, and they were part of an affair...you can sue for up to $2500 in damages for mental anguish.
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 2:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Like we don't have enough small petty "criminals" in our jails. I'm sorry, but there are certain "moral" things that shouldn't be laws.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• What's next, throwing kids in jail for breaking that pinky swear promise to be best friends forever when they get to jr high?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Lol how the hell would you enforce that sort of law?

And of course I don't think it should be illegal. That is government way overstepping its bounds
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• You know what I think should be illegal? Having another child, just because your mom can babysit them even though you can't afford them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• What people choose to do in their own marriages is their own personal business. If they want to swing, have an open marriage, etc., that is none of my concern.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• "What's next, throwing kids in jail for breaking that pinky swear promise to be best friends forever when they get to jr high?"

Calling my lawyer, brb!
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• in some states it "kind of" is... alienation of affection/adultery.

but no, i don't think it should be illegal if a spouse cheats. it's your problem, not the government's.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Because it's a personal matter between you, the guy and whichever one of you is cheating with an "outsider" to the relationship. Physically it is not harmful, only emotionally.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2013