Okay, I guess the topic is sex tonight, playing the devil's advocate here-

I agree that cheating should not be illegal, but what if the man/woman contracts HIV and knows they have it, but don't say anything because condom use would be a "clue" that they were cheating?

Now suppose he/she cheats and didn't know they got HIV, but gave it to the spouse?

2 situations, what is the punishment or should there be?

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 10:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Relationships

• More than thirty states have prosecuted HIV positive individuals for exposing another person to HIV.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• In many states it's reckless endangerment/ assault
    going to go find links for you
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• In many states it is illegal to have sex with someone knowing that you have HIV and you don't tell them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• The punishement wouldbe the same as any other case. They would probably get divorced and the judge would probably award the wronged spouce medical and some sort of support.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Well if you knowingly have HIV and spread it you can get attempted manslaughter charges filed against you.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• It's still on the individuals involved. I mean I suppose if they want to they can take tehir cheating spouse to court and get them to pay for the medical expenses and see if the courts will grant it but again that is up to the individuals involved.

Sorry but if you open to door to "giving STD'S to others" as "illegal" you open the door to contracting any virus from anyone or anything as a "legal matter" and I'm sorry but that just isn't logical. That's like suing your parents because you are anemic.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Oh what we think about the cheater and the one they cheated with?

Well hell I'll be suing either way, and divorcing, and well nothing Illegal but nothing to make their lives easier that's for damn sure.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• yes, I am aware, but just curious of what you all think about both cases? In both cases I would be hard pressed to forgive my spouse, but just wondering what you all thought of it.
    jerseydiva

Comment by jerseydiva (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Well my OP, is that case #1 should go to prison! Case #2 should not. If your husband knew he had HIV and slept with you, I am sure it would be a deal for anyone!
    jerseydiva

Comment by jerseydiva (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2013