Block feeding ..breast feeding question ..

My ds is only 2 weeks old and we have been bfing since he was born . for the last few days his stools have went from yellow and seedy to green and he seems to be gassy and cries when he goes number 2 which is very often . Im thinking i have an over supply/active let down and i think he isnt getting enough hidmilk .. would block feeding help this ? Also he seems to sleep for 3-4 hours at a time .. Is this normal or should i be waking him up more often to feed ? Hes having plenty of wet/soiled diapers each day .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Okay this is just my opinion... Most new moms over analyze every detail. I think if he is having wet and soiled diapers he is probably doing fine and will regulate soon. Feed him when he is hungry and unless he is not gaining weight, don't wake him up to feed him.

What was the birth weight? And is there any worry about him not gaining weight.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Try eliminating dairy. If you are worried about hindmilk nurse him exclusively on one side for feedings and pump the other side to comfort.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Nurse him exclusively on one side each feeding is what I meant.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I already nurse on one side only during a feeding but switch at each new feeding , because if i pump even after hes ate... within 10 mins i can still get out 2 to 3 ozs on 1 side, if hes not ate i can get out 4/5 ozs . And his lowest was 6.15 and at a week old he was back up to 7lbs but he wont be weighed again by his dr until his one month appt .
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Block feeding brings supply under control. You can try using one side only for all feeds in a two hour period, see if there's a difference. But green does fall in the range of normal so I wouldn't panic *yet*.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Save the extra milk for later. Your supply will regulate in the next few weeks.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Yes, block feeding would help if you thing it's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Kudos to you for figuring it out and knowing what to do - I had the same problem when my DS was a baby and no one could help me so I quit bf! 3-4 hours of sleep at a time is normal - if he's growing and having enough diapers, don't wake him.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2013