A fetus is a person, unless a Catholic hospital faces a wrongful death suit.

An interesting (and tragic) turn of events.

So, if a fetus is a person, then the hospital is responsible for the death of two.  If a fetus is not a person, thus absolving the hospital of responsibility of the deaths, then the Church needs to get off its compulsion to regulate all things having to do with female reproductive rights, and let women make these decisions for themselves.  They can't have it both ways.

Thoughts?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 11:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Religious Debate

• let me guess...its a Catholic hospital, not the Catholic Church, so its not "really" the church's view?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Is anyone surprised at the hypocrisy? It's their most basic principle.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I am Christian, however not catholic, and I do believe in the sancitity of human life... begining at conception. However, I have always been sorta dumfounded at the double standard of Catholic hospitals and their stand on abortion. Simply because it places the life of the fetus above all others. And I do not believe God places the value of an unborn child's life above the life of a mother. And this story is one more case that there appears to be a double standard. The hospital, and the denomination, would be better served acknowledging that three lives were lost that day, and be true to their faith. What is harded to recoup: the loss of respect of a population because you appeared two faced to save money, or the money you actually lost when you held to your principals and admitted you screwed up?
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Unless.... now that I think of it, the hospital is probably going to say (or has said) that THEY aren't saying the babies weren't people, they are saying CALORADO Law says that, so there can't be a lawsuit. Law is based on actual law, not the beliefs of the religious organization... so while it makes them look like hypocrites to take this approach, they will probably split hairs and say they are citing law, not church doctrine.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Good point, Nimue.  They could still save face, though, by saying that they are only obliged to follow the law (but that would be hypocrisy, too, considering their obstructionist threats against the health-care laws regarding providing contraceptive coverage) as it is written, even if they consider the fetus to be a person.

Let me add, too, that I am staunchly pro-choice, but only to the point of fetal viability.  If the fetus is capable of surviving outside the womb (as it would be at seven months), there is no reason not to remove it from the uterus and transfer it to NICU.  These fetuses could have been saved, according to the story, so it would seem that the hospital is culpable in the deaths of not just one, but three lives.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Well, CO law should be the only law that matters in this suit, so technically they are right to invoke it (assuming there isn't some legal thing about a 3rd trimester viable child in-utero having legal coverage in which case their interpretation of the law is wrong). I actually do believe that they are only obligated to follow the existing laws... that is why the laws exist. However, it is TOTALLY hypocritical, heartless and just plain mean. Unfortunately, there is no law saying that a Catholic Hospital can't be hypocritical, heartless and mean. The morally right thing to do would be to accept responsibility for death of 3 people and make appropriate amends outside of the court, where they prefer to operate. But the church doesn't care about the "right thing" (although individual Catholics may care about it). The church will do whatever it takes to survive and hold onto their power.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 4:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• It is a wrongful death suit. According to my biology class it is a living being.
    Anonymous

• CHI is being hypocritical by allowing their lawyers to argue in this way. They are just trying to reduce the amount of liability, but I think they are clearly in the wrong. What a sad story.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I think they have every right to use the laws as they are written however hypocritical it seems.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2013