A fetus is a person, unless a Catholic hospital faces a wrongful death suit.

An interesting (and tragic) turn of events.

So, if a fetus is a person, then the hospital is responsible for the death of two.  If a fetus is not a person, thus absolving the hospital of responsibility of the deaths, then the Church needs to get off its compulsion to regulate all things having to do with female reproductive rights, and let women make these decisions for themselves.  They can't have it both ways.

Thoughts?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 11:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Anything to protect their own asses
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• (BTW the link is broken it takes me back to the question)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Awe! Link doesn't work.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• this will never go away. I tire of it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• I tried to fix it - not the same article I originally posted, but one that covers the story, nonetheless.
    jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Thank you, feralxat, for providint another link!
    jsbenkert

• So, if a fetus is a person, then the hospital is responsible for the death of two.

Technically 3 as the mother was pregnant with twins. However a wrongful death suit involing one patient is less harmful (and cheaper) to a hospital's "reputation" (read bank account) than a wrongful death involving 3. So I can't say I'm surprised at the "change" in policy or "beliefs" (read hypocrisy) given that their "reputation" is at risk.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• The Catholic Church has had it both ways for a very long time, and no matter what anybody thinks, that probably won't change any time soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:01 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• If they do not believe a fetus is a person, then why are they so against abortion? But at 7 months, that baby is human. That baby has, eyes, ears, it can see light, hear mom and other sounds. IMO, there is a wrongful death suit.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2013