A lot of people talk about feeding their family on a very low budget. Here is a link to a lady who does it. Would you do this the way that she does? I don't think I could.

http://finances.msn.com/saving-money-ideas/911cccfd-e887-428d-9828-953430748fda

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I take advantage of sales, I plan meals, make a list and stick with it and I manage my budget with YNAB, which has been a life saver. But I don't obsess about finances anymore. When we went to a rough patch I did and it was an awful way to live. I was stressed, depressed, paranoid, I was scared of buying even a pair of underwear and going out of budget. It was insane. Once I got my YNAB and started working on an actual budget, I realized all I needed was organization. I'm still on a strict budget, but now I organize better and I can even save and buy occasional luxuries. For ME, that's it. That has given me peace of mind and for me that's enough. I don't ever want to obsess about saving money again
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• Hrm, I do, Staci does, a lot of women on this site shop the exact same way. I'm always amused by people who think it's weird, but if they want to throw away a few thousand dollars a year on processed crap and cleaning products they don't need, that's their business.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I don't think I would be do well at all if I tried to stick to a food budget. I can't have a garden here, and we're pretty loyal to the stuff we like. The things we tend to always keep in the house can be pricey. I am a whole lot better at saving money in other areas.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• we do the garden thing in the summer but I can not can etc so .....when winter hits its over.
    but yeah we do save money in the summer adn thats without coupons because I dont get them
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• no I couldn't .We like certain foods crab ,salmon ...dark chocolate with carmel and sea salt.

I do grow tomatoes ,bell peppers ,green beans ,squash ,fairy eggplants...adding Asian eggplant this year.Several herbs and have a peach tree and buying a orange and lemon tree cultured for here.I spent more the first year I put in raised beds than we saved but the past few years we save some money.Not enough to make a deal out of it but it sure tastes good.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• It's not the dumpster diving thing is it? (Sorry you don't have an active link up and I"m too lazy to copy/paste at the moment)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• And no Kristi, there is no dumpster diving, I am sure yours are safe at the moment.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

Oh look someone up and grew some ovaries. FINALLY
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• She is a friend of mine...
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2013