Bolognese sauce?

This was mentioned in the question about feeding a family on a small budget, and I'm curious to know what it is.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Food & Drink

• It's the ONLY sauce I feed my family. I start it right after breakfast and it cooks all day long.
    You brown ground beef, drain and set aside, in the same pot saute diced garlic, onion, carrots, and celery with salt and pepper until the veggies are soft, then depending on how large your family is use 14zo crushed tomatoes, 14 oz whole tomatoes (hand crushed for the rustic feel) a cup of red wine your choice anything you are good with drinking. Thats the easy sauce. My beef ragu calls for everything except you take a chuck roast and brown on all sides add it whole to the crock pot then add all of th above ingredients. Do Not forget to salt and pepper. Before you serve shred the chuck roast, add a tablespoon of butter and a sprinkle of sugar. The longer you cook the sauce on Low the better it tastes. It gets rid of the aluminum flavor tomatoes can get.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• We lived in Italy for 3 years and I took 3 series of cooking classes at 8 classes per series. If I could find cheap boar I would love to have Pappardelle al Chiangale.
    I also make my own pasta. I bought a pasta roller in Italy for only 8euro, but they are so expensive here!! Your own pasta is only 1 1/2C flour, 2 whole eggs and then a little water as needed. Thats it! Roll it out, cut it out, drop right into salted boiling water. Delicioso!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Basically, it's a tomato sauce with ground beef in it.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• It has ground beef, sometimes ground pork, milk or cream, aromatics like celery, carrots, onions added. It's pretty hearty. I kind if learned to make it when I lived in Italy by my landlord's wife but just ends up coming out like a meat sauce when I try.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• You start with whole stewed tomatoes, if I remember right from the Italian cooking show I've seen it on. Cook it down with some other stuff, add cooked meat, and let it keep cooking. Not a whole lot different than adding meat to spaghetti sauce IMO.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Well, everybody pretty much said so. I just want to add that I make a meatless version with lots of chopped veggies (zuchinni, carrots, onion, garlic, red pepper, mushrooms and eggplant) all diced really small. I add peeled and chopped tomatoes (if they're not in season, I use homemade marinara sauce), oregano, basil and parsley, salt and pepper.
    Serve it on top of spaghetti and sprinkle with Parmesan.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• thanks for this
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2013