Moonshine

My boyfriend is watching "Moonshiners" on TV. So that got me curious to know if anybody has ever tried moonshine before. Does it taste good? From what the show says, it's pretty expensive.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Food & Drink

• There is a kind that is legal and sold in stores around here. Very expensive, about $30 for maybe a pint I "think". I have tried apple pie moonshine. That is some good stuff. You have to be very careful because you can't even taste the alcohol. You will be knocked on your ass before you know it. Lol. It was a friends , so it was free.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 6:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I have tried it. The kind I had was awesome, and free. I have friends that make it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• The stuff isn't that expensive, and its illegal. Plus, according to some sources, there is no illegal liquor is actually being produced. And the show is a dramatization. While the state authorities are real, its all drama, nothing is real except the people.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I have friends that make illegal shine and I've had the Tennessee "legal" shine. Both are very good, the legal is 28.00 a pint.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• No, never tried it. When I was younger, I remember my uncle making his own wine, muscadine wine.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I like it! The stuff made from that show is expensive - here anyway - it's over $30 for a jar that's between a pint & a quart. There's another brand sold here that's cheaper (same size jar though) that I buy. I've never had "the real stuff" from TN - friends of mine get it from relatives they have there ;o). It's definitely strong stuff - 100 proof - but it doesn't bother my stomach or give me heartburn like some other alcohols. I don't taste it (I've gotten blackberry & strawberry) because it's so strong lol!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• never tried it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Did you know that Jack Daniels is jut aged Moonshine? So if you like JD you would theoretically like Moonshine.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I've had the real deal.
    We also have a holiday drink here called "boilo" which, in its origins, was made with 'shine, but can be made with Four Queens. I like the original best.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2013