Is it somehow worse for a child to be underdressed in cold weather than to be overdressed in warm weather?

just a random thought i had this morning when i dropped my kindergartner off in the carline. our temp this morning was 41 which is COLD for floridians. hers is a uniform school so she wore her long pants, long sleeve shirt, and a big bubble jacket with a penguin beanie. obviously the beanie and jacket can be easily removed if she gets hot later.

but i saw a little girl getting off the bus with a thin jacket and shorts on.. and im like wow, what kind of mother would let their kid go out in this weather like that?

then again, its suppose to warm up to the 70's today. so when i pick my daughter up from school, she's going to be hot in her long pants and long sleeve shirt- LOL. i guess i dont have room to judge.

why is it seemingly worse to see a child underdressed in cold weather than overdressed in warm weather? is it perhaps because the overdressed child can roll up their sleeves or remove layers whereas the underdressed child doesn't have any options for staying warm outside if they don't have enough layers?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• 41 is not cold. Heck we ran around in shorts and shirtsleaves in that weather all the time.

However. Short and shirt and a heavier jacket would have been my choice if that was cold to me and my child.

I think you can always take it off but you can't put it on if you don;t have it.

On the other hand, she was going to be 5 minutes going into the school, then in school until lunch so she probably would be warm enough. Parents and child's call.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• In that kind of weather being over dressed isnt a big deal because the time period is not long before you would have her home and she could change if she is to hot if it is 70 outside. Like you already said layers can be removed and sleves pushed up. Now I would disagree if it were close to 100 and there was a young child bundled up. Then your body has a harder time getting rid of the heat and you risk heat stroke among other complications related to heat. For me knowing that it would warm up a bit I would have my child in pants a jacket and short sleve. That way a jacket can be used in the morning when it is cold yet when it is hot they at least have short sleves on so its not to hot....rolling sleves dosnt always help cool you down lol. But over all not bad....guess im no help LOL
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:22 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• It shouldn't be worse but it feels worse. I knew a child in WA who wore shorts and sleeveless shirts year round. If it snowed she would wear a snow suit and underneath shorts and sleeveless tee. Some kids like that. I used to put sweats over my daughters shorts and let her take them off when days were cold in the morning and hot by afternoon.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Honestly, I rarely see kids overdressed for the weather, more often I see kids underdressed
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:33 AM on Mar. 13, 2013