Ok, have last county eval next week at 2

so i have to pull my daughter from school early
you want county disability worker to see your child when they are not having a good functioning time
so... what should i do with daughter before the county comes

should i take her to the shopping mall and let her go up and down on the escalator a few dozens times
should i go to the grocery store and spend 20 minutes
maybe a trip to Walmart, just waling into that place will show her true issues in minutes

* if you do not have experience with autism, you will not get this
but public places- with there sensory overloads will set her off and show her issues- things we have to deal with every day, and things the ABA team will be helping to work on. so i am not trying to harm my child, but show the county person who has never met my child, what she is like when we do every day 'normal' things, things others take for granted.

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 10:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2013 in About CafeMom

• Wal-Mart for sure. My kids & I don't have sensory issues but, we can easily get pushed over the edge by Wal-Mart.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I agree with libras, Wal-Mart for a little bit should do the trick.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Will the lady from the county meet you there (store) or at your home? What if she's running behind- how long does your dau take to calm down after an outing? They should be able to see for themselves the behaviors you are describing- perhaps taking video? I'm not trying to sound insensitive, just brainstorming here.  GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Are you sure you can't ask her to meet you in the food court of the mall, or the eating area at Walmart? LOL! That would work great.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I like the escalator idea. That will give you sensory overload,but the good kind
    My son's thing was spinning
    He was like that squirrel from Over The Hedge

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I'd take her to Walmart and then have plans at home to keep her going in case worker is running late. Is there something at home that can set her off? Loud music in the car, TV won't go on, certain clothes missing, school bag left at school by accident, etc. Telling her that snack is a food she hates, Just brain storming here. You don't want to take her to Walmart only to have her calm down when she gets home.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:15 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Can you start making a list of examples before the lady comes?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• A carousel would to the trick if you are close by one. Movement through space, noise and lots of it, bright colors everywhere, and people all over the place.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 11:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• she comes to the house
    see daughter for a bit
    but mostly asks me a ton of questions

you do not want to just talk about good day moments
    have to concentrate on the issues that are real every day challenges

you get used to (after years) of dealing with things, avoiding situations that will over load her brain
    so have to remember all the things you can not do because you know it will send her brain into overload- just stuff that 'normal' families do
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• just a trip to the neighborhood small grocery store will do the trick
    the isles are tight feeling
    and can go there for even 1 item with my daughter

hate to do it to her
    but it is not like it ever stops other moms from picking up one item

it is a very nice food store, pricey/upscale, great produce
    but small and tight
    if i was claustrophobic i would hate it - that is the only thing i can think of why she hates that store so much
    not super sensory as far as i can tell, as store go
    but more tight feeling than most

and it is down the block
    i can get a few food items
    and bring her home for county worker to see how she is when she is not having a good functioning moment
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2013