Would you tell the truth

If your kids asked if you like so and so. My son asked if I like one of my family members. I said no I dont. However I am polite to them. My hubby was mad at me for telling the truth,

My kids are 10. They dont spread anything around to other people. I do the same with them. Whatever they say stays with me. 

BOOGIETHEBOOG

Asked by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 10:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• YUP, I'd tell my hubby too and the exact reasons I don't like them. I'm completely open and honest and if someone can't hack it, that's their problem not mine,
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• As long as you don't drag the child into the family drama, then why lie? But only if they can keep that information to themselves tho- b/c the last thing you'd want is to be at a family function & have them tell their cousin or whoever, "my mom doesn't like your mom"! Awkward! :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Sure.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Who was the family member? Grandma? I would probably say, she and I are just different, but I do love her. Crazy Aunt Betty? I would say not so much!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• My son asked me if I liked his best friend's mom and I did not say yes or no I said I do not know her that well but she seems nice.
    I really do not care that much for her.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Yes.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I tell my s-son the truth. He knows who I get along with, who I don't and why. He is very intelligent, and unfortunately has even tried to mend the bridges between us adults. I also let him know that our feelings as adults have nothing to do with his feelings. And that he has a right to love every family member. It is not that I don't love them, I just do not like the things that they do. He understands this, and does not take this personally nor does his father. His father respects that I do not lie to him or his son. One lie can turn into many more. I knew at a young age that my father did not get along with one of his brothers. It did not keep me from having a relationship with my cousin, or my aunt and uncle. Their adult problems were not my child problems, and as long as you keep it that way, then being honest can never be bad. They do not need to know all the whys all they time.
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 11:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Just remember kids have a 2nd sense and will figure it out, and if you lie, you lose their trust!
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 11:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• i probably would have put the question back on him - why do u ask? - and i would have said you should always be nice to family, even if they are not your favorite family member, - my mom had to deal with several family member that treated her terrible when we were growing up and we had no idea because she kept it to herself and i thank her for that because it didnt affect our relationship with that individual as we grew up but now i respect her for that oportunity to form our own relationships without her opinion affecting it - (and one of the people was her mother, our grandma, - she is just plain mean and rotten to my mom but because my mom is awesome it didnt affect me & my grandmas relationship - and i respect that she waited till i was a senior in high school to talk to me about it when i could handle it and not let it affect my grandma & me! GL
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 11:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I have told my kids that I don't get along with someone and why before. I've also told them that it was up to them whether or not they like someone. Everyone is different and like different people. I also try to enforce that although I may not like someone I am still polite to them and listen to them. I do not put them down or tear them apart to other people. We will never like everyone in this world and that includes some family members but they're still family so keep the peace.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2013