Need to put dog for adoption - how?

My husband has finally accepted the fact that the dog and I will be better off if the dog gets a new home. My allergies are dangerous and the dog lives outside = not fair to him.

We want an amazing home - not a random stranger from Craigslist. Any ideas where to look or how to post an ad? Petfinder does not accept ads from individuals - must be a rescue group to list animal.

I don't think my husband will give our dog to a rescue as he wants to hand pick a new owner. help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Pets

• Some rescues/shelters will do a courtesy listing for you.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 12:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Humane society, ad in local paper,check with friends
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Call petshops to see if anyone knows someone looking for a dog.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• local paper & pennysaver. hadn't thought of that, thanks.
    he tried to give the dog to his co-worker yesterday but the dog hated the man... he "went crazy" my husband said.
    the guy was hispanic and the dog, for some unknown reason, hates hispanic people...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• good idea, thanks. i hope if i do find a lead my husband will follow it. he made it clear that HE wants to find the new home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• If you end up having to take the dog to the Humane Society, write down everything you can think of about its personality, likes and dislikes, current habits, fun traits. Noting that the dog seems to be averse to Hispanic people will be important. Any details that will help get the dog placed in the right home are very much worth telling.

Put up signs at your local vet's office.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• You can advertise him on Petfinder.com. You can also drop him off at your local humane society.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Dog may have had prior abuse issues hence the fear. Try church bulletins, meetup.com pet lovers group forums, pet and rescue groups on Facebook. Be sure the dog goes to a family and not an individual since families tend to be less likely to resell the dog into fighting rings.

Build or buy a dog house outside if there's any chance you can keep him.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• no, hellokitty, there is no way i am keeping this dog. he already has full access to the garage via a doggy door but his hair and dander still make their way into my home. i am constantly ill because of him and the doctor is very concerned. he must go. now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• http://www.nextdaypets.com/  List an Ad at the bottom

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2013