Prenatal Vitamins - i just found out im pregnant... how long do you take prenatal vitamins? whole pregnancy? 1st trimester? Just curious - ALSO what questions should i ask my doctor on the phone before our first appointment?... adult content

im going to call my doctor tomorrow after i have told my husband that we are pregnant and we come up with a list of questions to ask...

If you guys have any questions i should ask the doctor i would appreciate any suggestions... (First pregnancy) lol

Also when should i schedule my first appointment?? ive heard 8 weeks so you can hopefully hear the heartbeat... any suggestions?

futurebabykar

Asked by futurebabykar at 12:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Whole pregnancy and at least 6 weeks after,more if you breastfeed
    How far along are you? Do you need a confirmation of how far along you are?
    Most see you in between 8-12 weeks (mine suggested the 1st appt at the beginning of the 2nd trimester)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• The best time to start taking prenatals is 3 months BEFORE you get pregnant, so go ahead and start taking them now. You can get a script for them from your doctor when you go, but I've always been told by my doc that OTC vitamins are just as good. When you call your doc, they will schedule the appt... and if you're far enough I'm sure they'll let you listen to the heartbeat.
    Good questions to ask include what foods to include/stay away from, what OTC meds are safe to take, whether you can continue to color your hair/ have your nails done (if you do), and anything else you can think of. You'll probably get a WHOLE bunch of pamphlets and booklets to read over.
    And, congratulations :)
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• i just got a positive test today (it was a very strong positive, the lines were not faint at all) - my last period started on dec 30th - so 1 website said 3 weeks but one website said 4 weeks so idk for sure how it figured exactly
    futurebabykar

Comment by futurebabykar (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• i have been taking prenatals for 3 months already -
    futurebabykar

Comment by futurebabykar (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• How late were you when you tested?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• im not technically late my period was due on sat
    futurebabykar

Comment by futurebabykar (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• i tested early because i have crazy sore breasts
    futurebabykar

Comment by futurebabykar (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Congratulations! Is this your first baby?

Tell your doctor about any chronic health problems you have at your first appointment. Also, even though delivery seems a long way off, it's good to get a sense of how your doctor feels about anything that is important to you--natural childbirth, the use or avoidance of pain medications, breastfeeding, water birt, episiotomies, whatever matters in your world. That way if your iews don't match, you can find another obstetrician early on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• yes it is my first - thanks!
    futurebabykar

Comment by futurebabykar (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Yeah,you'd be 3 weeks

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2013