Bone chip where a tooth was pulled?

I had a tooth pulled from the very back of my upper jaw in December. The hole seemed to be healing fine up till a day or twoo ago. Now there's something sharp on the edge of the empty space where the tooth was. It feels like a thick sliver poking out from my gums, and it's uncomfortable. I'm wondering if it could be a bone chip that was left behind during the extraction and slowly worked its way to the surface. I don't know if such a thing is even possible.

I know I need to talk to my dentist, but he won't see me. He says I need to make an appointment with the oral surgeon who extracted my tooth, which I'll do, but it will probably be a week or two before I can get in. So I'm wondering if anybody else has ever experienced this, and if so, how it turned out. Did the sliver work itself out on its own, or did you have to get it removed somehow? Could it be pulled with dental tweezers, if such a tool even exists, or did you have to get it cut out

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Health

• I've had those and it's not unusual at all. It should work its way up to where you can get it out with tweezers or your fingers. If it bothers you too much or there seems to be infection, call to oral surgeon's office for advice. They might be able to work you in sooner on an emergency basis, if needed.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• it's a bone chip and apparently somewhat common after extractions. it will work its way out or you can help it by wiggling it (so says the folks on the dental website I frequent).
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 1:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• My dad's had bone chips like that. He just kind of scrapes them out with his fingernail.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• It sounds like a chip to me and is not unusual at all. I have had them. I would call the oral surgeons office and tell them exactly what you are experiencing and ask them if they can squeeze you in so he can get it out. It shouldn't take more than say 10 minutes. I bet they will get you in
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Maybe it's some strange Spanish congenital anomaly?

Anonymous

• Thanks, Anon. Helpful as always.

The rest of you, I really appreciate your constructive answers.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2013