Have my photography skills improved at all?

hopefully some of you remember my post from a while back asking if the pictures i took of my kids were 'portrait-esque'. ive been working on natural lighting, playing with the special effects on the camera, etc. 

im getting a DSLR soon but i want to know if my 'raw image' is up to par. i might even consider taking photography classes at the art institute someday. 

so what do you think? would you use me as a photographer? am i getting there?

lol dont be afraid to hurt my feelings either. i want the truth!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I am not a photographer, I have no aspirations to be a photographer, but I have many friends and family members that are photographers. Personally I do not like your editing techniques and if you put those in your portfolio I would pass you by. I do not like the color pops at all, it is very juvenile. I suggest reading through your manual, really understand what all your features do, get it off of Auto setting and just practice practice practice. A class sounds like a great idea if this is something you are really into. I'm sorry if that is harsh review.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• no, its not harsh at all! thank you, i appreciate the negative feedback as much as the positive, so i know what i need to work on. i personally am a big fan of selective color.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Honestly, (and coming from someone who doesn't know anything about photography) the first two don't look professional to me. I like the concept of the 3rd picture, but it looks a little blurry. Good luck on becoming a great photographer.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Yeah, unfortunately the close up option was being weird the day I took the third one.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I really like the color bursts in the black in whites though. How do you do that?
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I used Lightroom to adjust the color in the first black and white using the adjustment brush. In the second, my cmera has an option for selective color
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I am not a photographer either, just someone with a lot of opinions.

1st picture is too cluttered. If the sunset was your focal point, you missed it. I would have appreciated the colors of the sunset more if I could have seen more of it. In this case the lines of the swingset detract or obscure rather than frame your sunset.
    2nd picture is better, but you cut off the top of your head. That alone would make me pass you by. I do kind of like the color pop though.
    3rd picture is just ok for me. While the flower is beautiful, it is really all you see. The background neither enhances nor adds to the picture, making the color burst almost too much.

Hope that helps! Keep practicing!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Honestly I have an insecurity about my forehead so I cut it off in most pictures lol but I do appreciate the rest of your feedback
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I don't know that I would call any of them professional, per se. Mainly, though, that's because the first one's content is more something that one would do at home - you see a pretty sunset so you snap a shot of it. Nothing wrong with that - I do it all the time.

The second is not bad, but try one that keeps the top of the head in the frame - even when deliberate, cutting off the top of the head looks like a big "oops".

I like the third one, although as someone else mentioned, it's a bit blurry, but you did explain that. And it can take practice to get close up shots without shaking - I often take several just in case I had a case of the shakes that I didn't notice.

I'm not a "pro" in terms of being famous or working for a big portrait company or anything, but I have sold a few (and am working on getting them up on my site to sell more. con't
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• If you want to see them, I could send you the link to my Deviant Art page (where they're currently stored) so you can see what I've got - the photos I've sold are on that page. That might give you some ideas - you can also just google something like "professional photography" and see what pops up. I found that I got a lot of ideas for how to handle things just by looking at other's work. Even if it was as simple as looking at someone's photo and learning what NOT to do because the picture was so bad.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2013