Did you know that today is National Peanut Butter Day?

It’s National Peanut Butter Day! Peanut butter is a staple in over 90% of American households and the average person consumes more than six pounds of peanut products each year. Women and children prefer creamy peanut butter, while most men go for the chunky variety.

George Bayle, a St. Louis snack food maker, started making peanut butter in the 1890s. For many years, manufacturers struggled with the oil separating from the grainy solids of the peaut butter. In 1923 Heinz became the first company to homogenize the peanuts into the spreadable butter we know and love today. Before long peanut butter was a classic American food.

Did you know that it takes 550 peanuts to make a 12 ounce jar of peanut butter? Peanuts are cholesterol free and an excellent source of protein. In fact, it’s the high protein content that causes peanut butter to stick to the roof of your mouth.

To celebrate National Peanut Butter Day, bake some peanut butter cookies, spread some tasty peanut butter on toast, or enjoy a spoonful right out of the jar!

Liveyourlifeval

Asked by Liveyourlifeval at 2:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I could go for Reeses Peanut Butter Cup right about now.
    Liveyourlifeval

Comment by Liveyourlifeval (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Every day is peanut butter day. I love it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Yum! I'm about to celebrate. I'm on a diet, so it'll be one low-fat animal cracker dipped right into the crunchy stuff. One delicious bite.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• peanut butter is the best! i will be eating some later!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I'd rather have almond butter. Not sure why, as there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in the flavor, but I just prefer almond butter. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Yep. Making a peanut butter pie!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• That's quite a description Ballad! :)
    Liveyourlifeval

Comment by Liveyourlifeval (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• yum! now i feel like having a PB & jelly (grape of course) sammich!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Good thing I had a pb graham cracker thingy then earlier!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Peanut butter is the most in demand item in our house. It's filling and full of protein (and healthy fat), it is a time saver when I don't have the time or the energy to cook. It can be breakfast or lunch and sometimes dinner. It can even be dessert. I use it in recipes, or just eat a spoonfull right out of the jar. It is the one pantry item I couldn't imagine living without. I love you peanut butter!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 2:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2013