Babysitter?

Hi everyone! I just got a new job that is part from home like my others have been, but I will have to go and meet with clients as well. My mom works at a daycare in the infant room (0-2 rather) so I'm taking her to see her two days a week hopefully...however I'm thinking of getting an in home sitter for the other days to watch her for a couple of hours while I go around town for meetings etc. How do I go about finding someone? No one lives closer than an hour away, so I'm pretty much left to my own good judgement in choosing a stranger. Do I go with high school kids who will charge less? Or pay more for a professional? I'm not rich, but I don't want some nut in my house either. How did you guys find the right sitter, do a background check, etc? The whole thing is really freaking me out. I'm almost willing to just drive an hour to take her to a friend's, and an hour back for meetings, then an hour to pick her up!

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• check with a local college. be it a university or community college. a lot of times they have early childhood education programs there and there is always TONS of students willing to babysit. i went to college for early childhood ed and we always had posts up in the hallways, or announcements from teachers about people looking for babysitters. this way you know they love kids and have experience, plus they will be more then willing to give you references and such
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I'm very picky with who I leave my kids with. No strangers at all. My grandmother watches them until my Husband is off work 2 hours after my shift starts.
    However in your case I would suggest looking into area Colleges. I work at one and we have ads posted all over this University looking for babysitters and homework helpers. You can always go to the Campus Security Dept or the Dean to request info about the student applying.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009