Why isn't my green tea green?

I bought a box of Lipton Green Tea and when it brews it brews a golden brown color, almost like black tea. I've only ever bought Kirkland and Safeway brand green tea before and those brew an actual green color. I'm a bit upset.

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Just for Fun

• According to the commercial,green tea is immature leaves vs. ones that are ripened fully,so the green means unripened

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• ummm...does the color matter? How does it taste? I never drank green tea, I like mint medly but I dont know. Green tea I see in the gas station looks like a brownish green so I have no idea. I'd say if it tastes ok and does what its suppose ( I assume green tea is soothing or has healing properties?) then I wouldnt worry so much about the color.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 3:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• And White Tea isn't white... it's the baby tips of the green tea bush - thus the more delicate flavor and less caffeine.
    My green tea always brews a yellowish green - it's a Teavana tea

Here's a helpful tip: Only let green tea leaves sit in hot water for no more than 2 minutes (1-1.5 minutes is perfect!) and make sure your water isn't boiling! Green tea is best brewed at 175* (boiling is 210). And don't squeeze the tea back when you take it out of the water (you are squeezing all the bitterness out of the leaves)/ Doing this will make your green tea far less bitter.
    Also, lemon enhances the benefits of the green tea
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I've never had green green tea, I've tried probably 5 different brands.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• No, the color does not matter. Apparently my sarcasm does not work as well in text :( Thank you butterfly for that information, that actually makes me feel better about Lipton (and not being sarcastic!) Lol.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2013