Praying for others who do not wish to be prayed for?

I think I'm going to have to steal this the next time I'm told I'm being prayed for. I haven't been around pushy religious people for a while but this seems like a polite request while hopefully showing sometimes there are more important things to do than to pray for those who do not want prayer. What do you guys think?

If you were asked to do this instead of praying would you?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 6:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why is there such a problem with people saying 'I will pray for you' Heaven forbid people offer kind words in their own way. And if you don't believe on prayer then why be offended anyway- obviously you don't believe anything will come of it so what is the harm? And if you are talking about them saying they will pray for you because you believe differently that them then- still-it should have no effect on you what so ever. Just say 'okay- what ever makes you feel better.' and move on. Get a grip.
    Anonymous

• If I run around saying, "Go fuck yourself". Why does anyone get offended?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Anon, I have only heard of two types of "I'll pray for you". The first is someone who knows that the other person is a Christian (or has similar beliefs). Most of the time, these "I'll pray for you"'s are welcome. The second is the condescending Christian who knows that the other person doesn't believe and it is a "I'll get the last word in" type thing or "I think I am better than you". 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I just think feeding a hungry child is by far more important than praying for me. So with that said I don't cry and stop my feet when someone says I'll pray for you, I let them know Its not needed and your right it doesn't affect me but feeding a child would affect them in a way that they need and would appreciate.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• they can do both.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• i agree with what's said in the picture also. praying for me is a waste of time of both yours and mine. if you want to do something for the greater good, feed a hungry child instead of thinking thoughts to a god that may or may not exist.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I just tell people if that is what you want to do.
    But truthfully I wish they would gpo plant a tree or something, in my name.

Answer by louise2 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I love this!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• If you're praying for someone who doesn't want to be prayed for, you're doing it solely for yourself, not them. So, if you REALLY want to do something meaningful that isn't purely selfish, feed a child.

Totally agree with the sentiment here.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I pray for everyone in general on a daily basis and like some other moms I know I light a candle or something else if there is a particular situation and that friend does not want prayer.

If I know you specifically do not want prayer I am not forcing it upon you,
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2013