Homeschooling

So I recently lost my job and will have to take my daughter out of day care. My daughter is 2 turning 3 in 3 months but there's a couple of private schools that have a PK3 program which helps them transition into PK4 and so fourth. The school is a legit school and have children from PK3-3rd grade. Anyways I wanted to know if there was any homeschooling moms that have any advice or tips for a beginner. This is not a permanent decision but my husband loves the idea. But its something I want to do to help my daughter succeed in school when she starts attending in Aug. I don't want these 7 months to go to waste, after she has learned so much. Any advice, links, and tips would be awesome =)

ymilr0718

Asked by ymilr0718 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• More to add. We do homeschool. I started my son about 2...He learned his alphabet, numbers, short sight words...we did a lot of coloring, watercolors, puzzles, crafts, nature walks, LOTS of book reading aloud...visits to the Science Center...arts, games, outside play library visits.... Anyways, nothing can compare/substitute to a mother being able to spend the short time you have with your young child. They grow up sooooo fast. Treasure this time with her!!!
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• I tend to agree with the other posts...
    It may be a huge blessing in disguise that you've lost your job and were able to pull her out of daycare... May not seem like it now... Wait ten years you'll see.
    I have deep convictions that parents were made to raise children... not an institution.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• Its a great age to start following routines, fostering independence in self-care ( think handwashing/pottying/dressing) I have seen alot of letter of the week, number of the week type websites online. Good Luck!
    Oleary1024

Answer by Oleary1024 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• In my opinion at this age more important are skills rather than the knowledge to do something in particular. Let her explore and learn through her play a lot. Manual skills, observation skills, team play etc. Many activities, not necessarily "serving the knowldge how to". GL
    kujus04

Answer by kujus04 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• My daughter is 2 turning 3 in 3 moths

At this age preK is more about learning to follow routines and learning thru play, with a bit of ABC's, 123's, colors and shapes tossed in. That means play groups and activities that are fun while exposing her to the basics!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• At this age, I don't consider it homeschooling. Throughout the day, talk to her about shapes, colors, letters, animals, etc you see. For example, at the grocery store, point out the different colors of the fruits and vegetables. Go on nature walks and listen for the different sounds that you hear, etc. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• great group on here http://www.cafemom.com/group/699

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2013