Food Stamps

Before I start I just want to say that I am in no way trying to "lump" all welfare recipients into a stereotype. I am ONLY speaking on the people I know of PERSONALLY.

Here's the thing. Dh and I have used food stamps before. Happily. It helped bridge a gap for us when we really needed it!!

Dh and I were talking about a "family member" that is receiving food stamps. She also collects child support, from 3 guys and is on housing. The guy she is with now does NOT work and he happily admits that. He told dh once, "Work why? So they can take every cent I make. Nah ni**a I don't think so. I'mma hustle."

Exact words. He does sell drugs. Dh and I budget down to the last penny. We try our best to make every dollar stretch while also trying to put money back into savings. It's not that easy for us, but we manage.

This "family member" just bought a new tahoe and it irked me so much. Her mom told me the car is in the bf's name so it can't be traced to her or whatever.

I guess what I'm getting at is.... Why is stuff like this allowed to happen? I know people who struggle daily and have been turned away from welfare. I know others who have been on welfare since before I was born.

Am I wrong to be bothered by it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• It's called fucking the system. It happens. And those people aren't people who need welfare, they are what society would call criminals.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 7:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• You are not wrong to be bothered. That right there bothers me. People skirt the system, and make it hard for the truly needy to get help they honestly need. It's their karma, and will bite them one day.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 7:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Report their ass!
    uwmilf

• No your not wrong, millions of people abuse the system. It's sickening to be honest, people think they're owed something when no one in this world is owed a damn thing,

Let me add, people who truly need it are fine. No judgement by me but the users and abusers make me mad
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I understand. I work with the food stamp program everyday and we approve so many applications for people who are single, have not worked in years, will not attempt to work, and go from shelter to shelter, always in the office asking for things, giftcards, tokens to ride the bus but not riding the bus to look for jobs.

And they receive $200 every month, while those on social security and disability get as little as $16/month

Than we have the single parents, or 2 parent working families who work and are barely making, trying to have better and always something comes along to knock them back and we have to deny them or they get very little in food stamps.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Yeah, I would be pissed too. Not sure what you can do about it though. I told ya about the young girl telling all the others (kids) at work how to screw the government on taxes.... It sucks.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• they just don't have the man power to monitor it so more people are abusing it making even harder to pay for the man power to monitor it... it is a vicious cycle. another thing that irks me is that the minimum income ( here anyway ) for a family of 4 is like 29,000 pre-tax and rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is close to $800. But if you qualify you can get up to $650 a month is benefits... WTF? I can feed my family of 4 for a month for $350! If they lowered the benefits to a reasonable amount then maybe more people who actually do need help could get it.

I too was on FS for a while and do not judge anyone who is trying to fill a gap. Been there done that...and it sucks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• We live in Texas and I see people around me get it left and right and it kills me. I know too many people in my family who struggle. and others who abuse the system and rub it in our faces. I try to be thankful everyday for everything no matter how small it may seem to someone else.

It's sad really.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I try to be thankful everyday for everything no matter how small it may seem to someone else.

^^^ agree

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I'm wondering when the BF will leave for a new chick and take her umm sorry his car since it's in his name :) We call that Karma..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2013