S/O from the home page story 'Do you let your kids take Mental Health days from school'

Talking about letting your kid(s) 'skip' school just because (not for actual mental health reasons). I was amazed how many people said they did... They all gave reasons such as 'They get so stressed out over school' or 'If I can take a day off from work then they should get one from school' and even a few 'well, I just miss him so I want to have an extra day'

Am I really the only one who thinks that this is selfish and/or just silly? They are only in school 180 days *if* they don't get sick. Is that really so much to ask?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 7:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in

• Yeah I've never heard of that. How old are the kids in question supposed to be? I've only let my kids skip when they were sick and that is only when they have a fever. My kids love school too so if anything I would be sending them TO school so I could have a "mental health day".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I wouldn't allow my son to just stay at home and do nothing unless he is sick. Now, if there was something educational going on or something special was happening and it was a "once in a lifetime" type thing, then I would consider it IF he was doing well in school. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Hell no! They have 2 days off a week. Plus all those Holidays they give them. Mental health day. crazy Moms!

Answer by louise2 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I suppose if she were really tired, as in physically tired, to the point where I thought it would be a waste to send her to school. But thenshe's only four. Or, like JeremysMom said, if there were something educational going on. I remember getting taken out of school to see an Egyptian exhibit at the Natural History Museum when I was a teenager. That was probably my one and only "mental health day" ever as a kid, and I doubt if I'll ever make a regular thing out of them for my daughter.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• When they were in Head Start and a little bit in Kindergarten MAYBE I would let them skip just cause they were tired or whatever, not actually sick days...but come on it was HEAD START where they just play most of the time. I would NOT and Have not let them take "mental health days" or "stay home just because" days now that they're in actual school. I MIGHT let my dd's when they get to the period age, because I know how much periods suck and sometimes you just want to stay home and be miserable :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 8:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• My mom always let me take mental health days but my grades were good and in high school I worked at night so some days I was legitimately in need of a break. In Virginia, my son can only miss like 5 days of school a year without a note from a doctor so I won't let him do that because I don't need the resource officer at my house and he isn't the best student so missing a day would really hurt him.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• sometimes our children have day after day that are bad ,,,,,,,,
    as in the are in trouble all day or do not do work well,,,,,,,,,
    in a case like that I think if I were in a position to be with
    my child I would do a mental health day to work on
    finding the reason behind the sudden change in behavior
    and performance.
    Anonymous

• I did in PreK and K, but it won't happen now. I might take him out if there were something educational going on and I couldn't get him there on the weekend, but that is about it. He pretty much likes going to school so doesn't ask to stay home.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Nope, if they're healthy they go - because they want to.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I have only allowed my oldest to stay home if he's not feeling well or I have something to do that is out of town and I have no choice. For example, yesterday I had to travel to pay a bill, so the options were to either take him with me or send him to school and then risk him sitting outside of our home for an hour alone. I have never let a kid miss school just because school is tough on them and they're tired. They're kids. School is their job.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

Next question in
Did anyone study...?

Next question overall (Money & Work)
Food Stamps