What would you do in this situation? Would you pay "again" or wait and see?

The other day my husband went to get his oil changed in his car. About the same time that he paid, our bank was having some issues. The card would not go through so he called me to see what was going on. I tried to pull up our account online but the server was down. The cashier ran his card again but she had to do it manually. Other customers paid with a card and it worked fine.

Anyways, he left and while he was eating lunch (he had no problems using his card for lunch), they called him to say that it didn't go through. He had to go back and show them that it was taken out of our bank account. They called again today saying that in their records, they show it as not paid. I looked online again and the charge is "pending" in our account, meaning that they have held the money from our account but it has not cleared. The company wants us to pay again and take it up with our bank about the first charge. We really don't have the money to be charged twice or wait for a refund. I also don't want to jip the company either. What would you do?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 11:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• If the pending authorization falls off your account, then you'll know you owe the garage some money. Don't do anything until then.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• The charge is pending- call the bank before repaying. They will have the best information.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Unfortunately it's on you to resolve this problem.
    Unfair as it is the place where he had lunch do not have access to your account.
    Go to the bank and request a statement showing it was paid, if it's still pending, have the bank cancel that particular transaction and go to the business and pay them with a check or with your card.
    Just make sure you have the bank cancel said transaction.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Just keep an eye on your Acct. Banks are infamous for collecting fees regardless whose fault it is.

If they do, call them on it, they'll reverse it. But if you don't notice, which is what their hoping you'll do, then you'll end up paying.
    I've been through this, can you tell, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Call the bank see if they can clear it and then deal with the company
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• I would wait a few days if it doesn't clear go pay it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• What a pain in the butt. Sorry that happened.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Be prepared for a cancellation fee. I'm not sure if they charge for card transactions, but they do for check cancellations.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• As stated above I would talk to the bank first.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping that the charge would just clear and everything would work itself out but I guess I will need to go to the bank and take care of it. Thanks, ladies!

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2013