Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I just about had a heart atack! Then I laughed, sort of ...

My boyfriend and I were going through the mail, and he opened a letter from the IRS that said I owed $22,987! I swear, I just about fainted. I'm self-employed, and t turns out that one of my clients left out a decimal point when my income was reported, so instead of $6579.30, they told Uncle Sam I was paid $67,930. It's an easy error to fix, but I'll tell you what, it shocked the socks off me.


Asked by Ballad at 12:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Money & Work

Level 45 (193,996 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • One more point be ready for blow two. IRS and state tax do not communicate. Keep all records for a long time. IRS said I owed taxes then 2 years later the state claims the same, just be prepared. Took awhile to clear it up, but I did not owe either one. I needed records from federal to prove to the state. I save anything record wise , invoices, W2, whatever is needed.

    Answer by sunshine196 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

  • Keep all documents on this. I am not sure if it is the same thing when you own a business but my husband's employer reported that he made $20,000 more than he did. They had to give us an amended W-2, we filed the corrected one and the next year we got a lovely letter saying that we owed money. We had to fax in all of our paperwork to prove that was not the correct wages earned.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 12:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

  • Heart attack hell, I would have filled my pants!

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

  • Heart attack hell, I would have filled my pants!

    You aren't kidding! About $18,000 in taxes, plus $4,000 in penalties, interest, and money they say I owed because if I made that much, I'd lose the earned income credidt, the child tax credit, the self-employment tax credit--in other words, I better never make that tmuch money or I'll be screwed. Not that I have anything to worry about, I'm not even close. But if that income had been correct, between the taxes and penalties, I would have given the IRS a third of what I made. I'll have to write them a letter and send it with the form I got from my client lst year. Pain in the ass.

    Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 2:28 AM on Jan. 25, 2013