Has anyone had the Essure procedure done? (The non surgical tubal)

My doc mentioned it to me and it sounds too good to be true. I did some research on it. The entire procedure is done with a catheter. Has anyone had this procedure done after giving birth? Is it painful? Any side effects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Health

• The side effects in some women are so bad they end up having surgery to remove the coils. Sounds too good to be true because it is! My tubal was done through a less than 1" incision - I'd never let them shove metal coils up into my female parts!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I had it done 5 years ago... not one issue. The percentage of woman who have issues are comparable to the percentage of women who have issues with other methods.

The coils are placed using a guide wire, you are medicated when they do this (pain & Valium). I was uncomfortable the moment they place the coils but after that it was fine. I got sick from the meds b/c I can't tolerate much more than advil, but went home and took a 3 hours nap and work up feeling AWESOME!! No surgery, no recovery time... I HIGHLY recommend the procedure if your doc thinks it's right.

Beware of internet horror stories... people willl post the bad... people won't complain if it worked, so the info out there is jaded!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• My husband had a vasectomy so I never had to deal with it, but I have heard lots of really positive things about Essure. It sounds like a much better option than tubals.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2013