Cooking with Wine

I want to try making Bolognese sauce, thanks to Cassie Kellison. But all of the sauce recipes call for red wine. I can't drink wine because it's a migraine trigger. Does anyone know if cooking the wine takes away its tendency to cause migraines? Will the sauce be worth making if I can't put in the wine?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Find a sulfite-free red wine. That's typically the trigger that causes migraines.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• It depends on what in the wine triggers yours. If it's the alcohol then it will evaporate in the cooking. If it's the tannins they will still be there after cooking. Do you get migraines with white wine? If not, simply substitute a dry white wine (a lot of recipes call for white and not red anyway) for the red or, alternatively, make it without the wine. Either way, I4m sure it will be delicious!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 2:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Just omit the red wine! And like Winterglow said the alcohol will evaporate, but if youstill don't feel comfortable using it just omit it. Right before you drain your pasta, add a little bit of the pata water to the sauce. It adds starch and flavor to the pasta. And Do Not Ever rinse your pasta! You are rinsing away all the flavor of the salt that you put in with the pasta and the starch stuck to the noodle is needed to hold the suce to your pasta.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:28 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• oi, I ment "It adds starch and flavor to the sauce" not to the pasta
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• It is the sulfites that are the problem. Just go with the dry white like someone else suggested.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• booklover545, there are actually more sulfites in white wine than in red ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 11:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I'm not a big wine drinker and I'm not prone to migraines but I did try a bolognese recipe that called for red wine once. My guests and I shared the rest of the bottle. I got a terrible headache from that one glass of wine. When we ate the meal my headache subsided. Maybe it could go that way for you. That was probably the best bolognese recipe I've ever tried and I got many compliments that day...it was worth the short headache. :)
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 1:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• You can use white wine instead of red
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Really? I did not know that about sulfites. I get hives if I drink red wine but not white. The allergy dr said it was the sulfites.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2013