Nightmares and pooping/peeing the bed

For the past few months my son (4 years)has been having horrible nightmares every night. He will cry and scream and whine and beg in his sleep until I come and wake him up out of it. Often he is complete inconsolable for a while after (sometimes up to an hour). At first I thought he had night terrors, but last night he peed the bed, this was his first night time accident in almost 2 years. Tonight he didn't have a single nightmare, but when I went to check on him around 4 am he had pooped his pants. He was still asleep and didn't realize he had done it until I woke him up to change his clothing.

I am going to be making a doctors appointment for later to day, but until then I am a bit freaked out. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? or have any experience with this type of thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it is night terrors. Poor baby!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• nightmares are normal for kids that age...
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_nightmares-why-they-happen-and-what-to-do-about-them_64922.bc (I'm on chrome so it won't make a clicky for me)

maybe just have him wear pull-ups at night for awhile?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:26 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Have you taken his temperature? Maybe he is getting sick & has a fever that spikes at night? I would give him some Children's Motrin liquid before bed tonight. Then see what happens, it will probably help. The only other idea is think about what he has been eating or drinking that may be different than usual. What about TV shows he may have watched?? Just some ideas.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:23 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Sounds like it's just night terrors. I'd look for changes in routing that may affect his night time habits: scary television shows, any new fears that have come up. Other then that I'd say check to make sure he does not have some sickies. Good luck!
    teampeyton123

Answer by teampeyton123 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2013