How can I get my 16 year old daughter to be more sensitive to other's feelings?

My 16 year old daughter is going to prom with the same boy she went to homecoming with. He is a very sweet and smart young man. He comes from a good family with strong moral values. He is on the golf team at school and he is in the top 10 of the junior class for academics. My daughter is also very smart and is in the top 10 of the junior class. The problem is this: She has never gone out on a date except with this boy to homecoming. She has never held a boys hand or been kissed even on the cheek. She is young and she has plenty of time later on to develop a relationship. Also, she has had crushes on boys at school. My daughter was really nice to this boy so that he would ask her to homecoming. I heard through some friends that were chaperoning the dance that she ignored her date and just socialized with her friends. Now that he has asked her to prom, she is ignoring him. I don't want her to use people.

Lei67

Asked by Lei67 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i would say being 16 its time for her to grow up and learn on her own what happens when you do these things too people i am taking it that it didnt bother him much that she hung around her friends at the last dance or he wouldnt have asked her to go to the prom with him
    Anonymous

• I think you need to tell her how you see it. Good people don't use people. There is nothing wrong with them going together if they just don't want to go alone however, it goes for both of them. If she is just using him because she can, well, she needs a reality check. Be honest and open with her, see what she has to say. As far as her not being kissed yet, come on, does she have bodyguards 24 hours a day? She's feeding you a line and you bought right into it. I can see a lie a mile away, can't you?
    fragglemom

Answer by fragglemom at 7:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• fragglemom...................alot of 16 year olds have never been kissed. Just because you were probably having sex by then doesn't mean everyone else has. I didn't get my first kiss until I was almost 18. I was saving it for someone special. My son is 16 and he has never be kissed either, he is very shy, although my daughter go her first kiss at 11. I am keeping a very close eye on that one.
    Anonymous

• She just young and probably not very flitations or maybe she's just nervous and doesn't really know how to act around a boy.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:45 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I wouldnt go right in and say your talking about her directly! If you can communicate with her normally just bring it up like tell her a story about a friend of yours that used you or something or how you used a friend before and lost that friend even if its not true. The consequences that using people will have on anyone. How it will ruin friendships, and GOOD people do not do that, and theres nothing wrong with not kissing a boy yet! trust me my daughter is seventeen and shes preg. Id much rather her be in your daughters position!
    Anonymous