My dad really hurt my feelings today

i created a facebook photography page yesterday. granted, im not professional and i still need a lot of work til im even close to being a good photographer. but, im very emotionally attached to my work because its a big passion of mine obviously. i was so happy to see a lot of my friends liking my page when i announced that i made one. the support was wonderful and comforting.

i asked my dad to please like my page and he asks, "why?" and i said i just thought you might be interested in what i've been up to and he says, not really.

call me lame & weak but ive been blubbering like a baby ever since. he can be so harsh sometimes and it just really hurts deep down that he wont show his support for me. i mean would a simple "like" have killed him? its really discouraging and makes me feel like giving up on my dream :(

hes always had that attitude and has always put down my ideas, but for some reason this one really cuts deep.

this is just a vent i guess, no questions really. except, would you even bother talking to your dad anymore if he was this mean to you all the time? i dont know why i bother.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Relationships

• My dads kind of the same way. I just ignore it now, I finally told him hey look, I'm old enough to not have to listen to your crap anymore and I won't. I just hang up if he starts on me. I'm sorry your dad does that to you.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• don't give up on your dream b/c he's being an ass
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Somewhere along the line, he really screwed up. He's probably aware of the exact time, as are you. You've tried to please him and get his approval/love ever since. Deep-seated, unattended hurt is hard to get past, but I encourage you to go on behaving in a way YOU can be pleased with yourself. He may never come around, but you are the one who has to move on and make life yours. Stop trying to get his attention, doll. The more you try, with the same response, the more your pain grows. Stop the madness!
    I'm sure your photog skills will improve (I have no idea about your pics, haven't seen your work. :/ )
    Good luck with your page, and future!
    He doesn't know what he's missing, dumb man.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• i guess i feel like his validation was needed for me to grow as a photographer.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I know your feelings are hurt and I am sorry but turn it around! Any time my dad (who was so blunt he could slice you in half through a phone line) would do something like that I would get hurt but then mad and I would work even harder to make that dream happen. Once people are buzzing around him talking etc, he will take a look. You may not know he is but he will and one day out of the blue hopefully he will say good job. If not, his loss!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• (((hugs)))
    You have potential honey. Don't listen to the naysayers

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• screw what the hell that ass says. Do what YOU love and tell the people to fuck off who put you down for doing it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• here is one i took this morning, i really like it. the sun was hidden by the thick fog and i love the silhouette of the fence and signs. just thought i would share with you guys. you guys rock <3

tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• that's beautiful
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I like that one, but he isn't a happy man, and sounds like he wants to spread it around! You can't change him, but you can change asking him things that you know will end up with him disappointing you (again.) Huggs.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2013