My son is falling behind in kindergarten :(

My son has some issues with participation and using time efficiently in class. He is also behind in math and literacy. His report card said he only counted to 29 for the teacher, when I know damn well he can count to 100... he has done it for me! He is also having trouble with letter sounds. I really try to work with him at home, but apparently it has no effect since he doesnt want to put in the effort at school. Im not sure what to do... he does well when I work woth him, but doesnt want to try at school. Any suggestions will be helpful!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I started my children later. He sounds like he isn't emotionally ready for this yet. Have you considered keeping him at home another year?
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 1:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• that ^^^^ or can you get a person he really loves to be with to work with him 30 min, 2x a week?
    I tutor one of the children I have watched for the past 7 years and she does for me what she is hesitant to do at school however, her teachers are seeing more effort now on her part and they say she participates more.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Dh and I held our son in Kinder for another year. His teachers were willing to let him go on to 1st. But from what we could see he was not ready.

Try working with him over the summer, or keeping him for the year.

We always say holding our second oldest back that year was one of the best things we had done for him academically. When that second year was over he was more confident, well adjusted and happy.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 1:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Maybe he's just a little shy. Teacher should have some recommendations for you. Maybe the classroom setting is too distracting?? Ask the Teacher if it is very loud when he is trying to concentrate.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I wouldn't say he's falling behind... it sounds like he wasn't ready for it yet. I agree with the pp, keep him at home the rest of this year and try again next year.
    When is his birthday?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• maybe he tries to be goofy, for the attention he gets. i'd try to explain to him what's expected from his side, necesarrily giving good examples rather than criticizing.
    kujus04

Answer by kujus04 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• KEEP him at home the rest of the year??? WTF??? That is the worst advice I've heard on here in a LONG time!!

Talk to his teacher.... she/he can help come up with strategies that are proven effective. My DD came home with a note saying she didn't know 24 out of 26 letters... which was BS... she had test anxiety. She also had trouble with letter sounds. Can't imagine if if I had kept her home the rest of the year. Foolish! Some kids progress faster then others, it's just the way it is. You don't quit a year of school b/c your child isn't as fast as other kids. He will come along. My DD was also a late reader... not until after April vacation of her 1st grade year... teachers said that's just the way some kids work.

The school should also have reading specialist that can work with your child... ask for the help!! Squeaky wheel gets the grease!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• How about sitting and explaining to him he must try harder at school, most likely he gets "clammed" up or something! If he can do it at home, he can do it at school, and that is the issue, maybe he is shy or whatever, but allowing him to stop at this moment would be a bad idea, if the school feels he needs to repeat K to have some maturity that is one thing, but press on momma, press on. Read to him, and I would suggest a game with letter sounds.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Consider having him repeat kindergarten if he's struggling. I had a friend when I was a kid who did kindergarten twice. She had a July birthday, so was pretty young when she started. Her parents, for whatever reason, decided to have her repeat kindergarten. It was the best decision for her they could have made.

I have a friend right now who I'm trying to get them to think about it. Their daughter writes entire sentences backwards, still doesn't know all the letters and their sounds, gets numbers all mixed up all the time. The teacher hadn't noticed a THING at the October parent/teacher conferences. Since then, nothing has improved and this child has started just copying off of her neighbors to try and get the right answer.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Maybe he just doesn't care yet...he's little. I started my boys late and they are all brilliant now in school.
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 3:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2013