My husband left a gallon of milk outside...is it safe to drink?

It's sat out there for 2 hours and it's 68 degrees outside. Do you think it is safe? I can't drink milk, so trying it isn't an option. I guess I will let him try it when he gets home from work.

Would you drink it?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 2:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Food & Drink

• No
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I wouldn't touch that at all. But if u think it *might* be safe...let him take a sip LoL. You'll know soon enough
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 2:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• No, I wouldn't. If it had been 38 degrees out, yes. But, not 68.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Nope!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• was it cold to begin with? was it in the shade or the sun? is it still cool now?
    2 hours isn't *that* long- if it still feels cool and wasn't in the sun I think it should be fine
    if it was in the sun though- I'd probably dump it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• It was cold to begin with, and in the shade the entire time. It doesn't feel very cold to me now; more so cool. No matter what I'm not giving it to our kids. I'll let him be the guinea pig. Lol!
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• It's probably fine. It's pasteurized, so the bad stuff has been cooked out of it. It's more a spoiling issue. If it wasn't still cool to the touch, it's a-ok. This has happened more than once around our house - no one has ever gotten sick off of it.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• no
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 2:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• 1-2 hours according to Cooperative Extension Service--but I'd be more conservative
    Per the Nevada Cooperative Extension Service, if the temperature is 90 F or higher, one hour is the longest you can leave the milk out. If the temperature is below 90 F, 2 hours max. If left out longer, throw it out.

Google it. 4 hours is a rule of thumb apparently.
    And think about this.... how long does milk sit in your kid's sippy cups before they finish it. Probably a couple of hours and that is far less milk than a gallon (smaller amounts are subject to faster temperature changes)
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2013