Wiccan Military

I know the Wiccan Rede says "Harm None."
I know that there are Wiccan's in the Military.

So, how is joining the military something that's seen as "okay'? I'm not judging just wondering... I just don't understand how someone can live by a rule of Harm none and then go in to battle... that's really backward... right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• im not wiccan but maybe they go into a job in the military where they dont fight. my husband is a crew chief for the planes so he wont technically go to war with a gun etc etc
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Same goes for Christians "thou shalt not kill"
    Anonymous

• I am not a Wiccan but a Pagan. But if we are going to split hairs I say..well heck someone beat me to it. umm thou shalt not kill. And the military is full of Christians. Man I type slow.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Not a bad question though. This is the way we learn. I have a Pagan meeting tonight and you have given me a question to ask the Wiccan military members who attend. So maybe I may have a better answer later.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• OP HERE - I'm not trying to "Split Hairs" I'm just trying to understand... I know the Christian's have the "thou shalt not kill" but I think it's different for them... Besides Christianity was built on violence...

I thought wiccan's were different... I thought they actually practiced what they preached...
    Anonymous

• OH no worries here. I shouldn't have used that phrase. It is a good question. I think Wiccans practice as much of what they preach as they can, just like any other religion. Wiccans in the military have to follow orders as well.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• NOT TO BE RUDE...

OP HERE - I'm not trying to "Split Hairs" I'm just trying to understand... I know the Christian's have the "thou shalt not kill" but I think it's different for them... Besides Christianity was built on violence...

I thought wiccan's were different... I thought they actually practiced what they preached

I can say the same thing about Christian's....

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Wiccans have jobs they have to do just like any other religion. IMO Harm none would classify as the same as thou shalt not kill. For Hindus it is Karma. The law that good begets good, and bad begets bad. And so forth.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Agreed pnwmom...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Whoever posted this question is childish and ignorant about something they apparently know nothing about. Chill ladies, it's probably some bitter hag that's prayers aren't getting answered, and furthermore, it's a double standard to carry over one thing from one religon and not the other captain obvious. Go read a book.
    Anonymous