Clive Cussler

I'm a professional proofreader. Textbooks mostly, but I happened to get a Clive Cussler novel this month. I wasn't particularly excited about the project and only took it because the flow of textbooks has been slow. I don't read adventure novels for pleasure, but this book has turned out to be pretty good. I have to stop and remind myself every so often that I'm supposed to be looking for misplaced punctuation marks and missing hyphens, not wondering what will happen next.

Any other fans out there?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Entertainment

• I adore Clive Cussler. I have read everything his written, I think. I like the Oregon series the best, with Juan Cabrillo, then the Dirk Pitt series, then the Kurt Austin series. He has more but I dont like them as well, and only follow these three series fanatically. I preorder each book on my Nook, and I am sooo excited when one comes out. Escaping in a well written adventure book is sometimes the only break I get, so its fun to kick back and know that in some worlds, right always prevails, and the guy does always get the girl!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• BTW, the one your proofing, is it an Oregon series book??? He is due to have one out next, I think!!!!!!

Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• My husband reads him and loves the adventures. But, even he sometimes has to read me a paragraph because the writing is SO awful.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• No, it's one with Kurt Austin in it that was copyrighted in 1999. It's being transcribed into braille now for readers who are blind, which is why I got it to proofread. It's called "Serpent: A Novel From the Numa Files".
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Meooma, I'm self-employed. I contract with several agencies that produce braille, mostly for schools and libraries. I used to make fairly good money, but book budgets for school districts everywhere have been slashed in the last few years, which has trickled right down to me. I had to get certified as a braille proofreader through the Library of Congress. I was tested on the techniques used to produce braille for math and science, computer code,, graphics and, at the risk of starting another shit storm, Spanish, since I can read the language. I had to show a knowledge of the rules of English grammar and punctuation.

The same old math and history books get dull sometimes, especially since not much changes when new editions come out. Now and then I get a novel or a cookbook, or some oddball project like the tourist programs for the Disney parks or a series of educational pamphlets about medical conditions.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• The book is fast-paced and exciting, but you're right, the attention to details like punctuation and sentence structure could be better. It bothers me how little proper grammar and writing skills, much less spelling, seem to be valued lately. I've seen textbooks written by people with PhD's that I would have been embarrassed to put my name on as the author.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Is it in Spanish?
    Anonymous

• This particular book isn't in Spanish, no. Give it a rest already.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2013