How soon should you see your doctor when you find out your pregnant?

i scheduled an appt for 8 weeks --- but should i go sooner --- i dont really have to many questions but just wondering

futurebabykar

Asked by futurebabykar at 4:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Perfect.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• between 8-12 weeks is complete;y fine. I didnt see a doctor till I was roughly 8 weeks pregnant
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• 6-8 weeks is fairly average with no complications.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• thanks thats what i figured - but the recptionist asked if i wanted a sooner appt to talk to the doctor or confirm my pregnancy - so then i questioned it
    futurebabykar

Comment by futurebabykar (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• They ask that because they never know if the lady on the other end of the phone was ttc, mistakenly go pregnant, is experiencing any symptoms that have them worried, has health issues that could effect their pregnancy or maybe is just concerned because it is their first and they have a TON of questions that waiting for weeks would drive them mad.
    Also, often ladies WANT a doctor's confirmation that they are pregnant - like it makes it more official or something.....
    "well my 5 pregnancy tests came back positive, but it wasn't until the doctor used the exact same test and charged me $80 did I know for sure I was pregnant!"
    Anonymous

• Usually they don't want to see you before 10-12 weeks. I went at 5 weeks because I had high blood pressure & had to change the medication due to the pregnancy.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• My doc suggested I come in between 7-9 weeks because that's roughly when they can detect the heartbeat on the ultrasound, but is also early enough to check everything else and get you started out well.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 5:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• When I got pg with my 2nd they scheduled me to be seen the first time at 10 weeks. With my first baby I didn't realize I was pg til I was 9 weeks, and wound up scheduled for 16 weeks. 10-12 weeks is normal.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I would say between 8-12 to start pre-natal care.
    missthanglisa

Answer by missthanglisa at 8:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• 12 weeks
    kfeldt

Answer by kfeldt at 12:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2013