Friend struggling with fertility issues is getting hard to be around

I have a close friend who I adore, she is a fun person, would do anything for anybody. She struggled for years trying to get pregnant. You name it she did it. Finally got pregnant through IVF and has a 3 year old little girl. She has been trying for a while now to have more and has been unsuccessful and is now thinking about adopting. The entire process ruined he marriage and she is now single. I have four of my own, never have struggled to get pregnant. She was always very happy for me, even when I had my twins 6 months ago. But sometimes she is such a downer to be around. She constantly talks about how her life is incomplete without more children, she talks about friends or acquaintances of ours that have more then one child and don't deserve them, she will even pick out moms in public who have multiple children and talk poorly about them. I have tried so hard to be supportive and emphatic but it's getting hard. Sometimes she will even make rude comments about me having four kids. Advice please?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Relationships

• Her life is incomplete because she isn't happy, she should thank the good lord that she got the one she has, I say change the subject or just tell her how many women would kill to have 1 baby!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• PS-she sounds like a nutbag, picking out women in public? I had 2 of my daughters friends and her and my son at the store, some lady says "look like you have your hands full"! I said well only for today!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• People like that truly annoy me. I understand feeling depressed if you can't have any children. But, the people who still complain after one....ugh. Not everyone is meant to have a bunch of children, some just have one. Any many out there wish that they could have one. I agree with Jersey, remind her that she should be grateful for the child she does have.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• She needs counseling. If she is unable to afford tell her to call 211. I told a friend of mine that she had two more weeks to talk about an issue she was having then I was cutting her off.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• This woman needs to get counselling to learn to accept her infertility. If she feels that she can be a role model and great mother for children who are in need of a home, tell her to try foster care or foster-adopt. Taking another womans baby is not the answer (domestic infant adoption).
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 5:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Tme to distance yourself from her.

Answer by louise2 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Poor lady. I believe that she could use some professional counseling.

Answer by Bmat at 7:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• This is no longer a friendship, I think. It's a habit. And one to break.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2013