North Carolina banning welfare recipients from playing the lottery.

A welfare lottery ban?
That’s what’s being proposed in North Carolina, according to the Examiner.
The bill would ban anyone who’s filed for bankruptcy or on welfare, and is being spearheaded by Rep. Paul Stam, according to the Examiner.
Under the bill, those who sell lottery tickets to those ineligible would face penalties.

How do you feel about this?

funlovinlady

Asked by funlovinlady at 6:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• They would know once you go to collect.

Which has nothing to do with punishing the person who sells them. Presumably the point is to stop the sale using cash assistance which comes loaded on a debit card like food stamps, but unles NC does it different, most states use those cards for more than one thing.

Oh, and this isnt' just an Examiner SEO story, it's everywhere. http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8966694

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• butterflyblue19

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• How would they know it's a cash transaction. If someone should win, penalizing the person who sold you the ticket makes no sense.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• How do they track this? And for that matter, how do they even define it - afaik "on welfare" doesn't actually exist, and the guy working the register can't tell someone getting assistance for themselves from someone who gets it for a foster child, or a disabled adult in their home, or child support that's filtered through the state.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• So they win and no longer need assistance......how terrible!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Why go through all the effort, money, time, etc... banning stuff like this? People are going to do what they want anyway. If they want to spend all their money on lottery, so be it. I can't control what welfare recipients eat, drink or spend money on..... Life is not a kindergarten classroom...... We can't monitor everyone like they are five.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I can understand that you should not be able to pay for lottery tickets with a benefits card. What if somebody gives you scratch offs for Christmas and you win big? You shouldn't be able to claim it?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I don't have too much extra money. But I buy those stupid things now and again. I sometimes get tips, when people say keep the change, hon! And those nickels and dimes can add up. So when I get a dollar in change, I might buy a ticket. Am I wasting money? Sometimes. But then, what would that dollar do for me as a dollar? If I am sooooo behind that a dollar is going to make or break me, I have more serious problems than the occasional scratch-off...

This is an idea that is going nowhere. It appeases those who want to control everything that a body on PA does, eats, drinks, wears, and drives. That is all. Just more control over someone in a worse place than you.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• gonna have to go with this classic gem 

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• hahaha. but in all seriousness, seriously? how will they legislate this? is the sales clerk suppose to ask any and everyone that purchases a lottery ticket for proof of whether or not they're on welfare? why should it matter if someone on welfare wins the lottery anyway?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2013