What's the best way to potty train my 1 year old ? I know its too early for 1 year olds, but my son is able to walk all by himself and can do almost everything which an 18month old baby is expected to do. I just want to start , even if I fail I dont mind but still I want to give it a try.

newmommy121211

Asked by newmommy121211 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lmao. You don't. But good luck with that.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• LOL!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• what she said
    ditto

one year too young
    imo
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• By waiting ayear or so....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• One is too young. Don't start until after they turn 2 yrs old.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I would wait until he is showing readiness in that area. My DD was showing signs of being ready at 18 mos....we tried and she held her pee for 5 hours. That is a testament b/c I was filling her full of juice to get her to pee. I put a diaper on her she peed and told me that she peed. I was so frustrated. I waited a few more months and had her potty trained before her 2nd birthday. We moved and she regressed. She did it on her own at just over 2 1/2. It was like someone turned on the light in her little head. We haven't looked back since.

I vote wait awhile!!!
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Well I disagree in a way, you can always sit them on the potty and if they go they go, if they don't they don't, no pressure, my nephew was potty trained completely by 18 months.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I start training mine early. The youngest I started at about 9 months. She was potty trained very quickly!! (But was the exception).

Just start putting him on the potty after waking up and before and after baths. Those are the easiest times to 'catch' him peeing. This can also be the longest step. You have to catch him going so you can praise him and he learns what it is you want him to do on the potty. (If he starts getting annoyed with it, back off). Once he figures out what you want him to do, it is just a matter of him figuring out his body's signals. That can take a while, or not. Depending entirely on him!

Good luck!! Even if it is a long process, you will greatly reduce diapers. And that is a plus!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• ^^ What she said.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I know what you mean my one yearold also is way advanced and requests diaper changes as soon as she has soiled hers. I want to start soon but im gonna wait until we bring the new baby home and she gets settled which will put my one year old at almost two
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 8:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2013