Girl scouts...pros and cons, please.

I'm seriously considering signing her up. I was a Brownie until my mom had a disagreement with the leader. My husband says he doesn't care. My mil says they peddle crack cookies to kids.

Are your kids in girl scouts? Is it a good organization for girls?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 10:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• My daughter was in brownies then girl scouts. She loved it. We went to Mother Daughter Camp and we had a blast. It is a great organization for girls. I highly recommend it.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• They don't peddle crack cookies to kids, the parents eat them before the kids have a chance to know they were bought.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I love those crack cookies. My personal opinion is yay to Girl Scouts, nay to Boy Scouts.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I don't think there are any cons! It's great for socializing, learning skills (crafts, sewing, cooking, etc), its educational, and it gives mommy a free hour after school once a week to get out in the world!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• i went up to Junior in GS and everything is pro imo. and i only sold cookies one year...its not always a requirement.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I was in Brownies, Juniors, and Cadets all the way through elementary school and junior high, and I loved it. I think the best thing about it for me was that I got exposed to all sorts of different activities--arts and crafts, flower arranging, camping, knot tying, canoeing--and even if I didn't enjoy everything, the experience broadened what I knew about the world. If your daughter gets into a supportive group with enthusiastic leaders, it could definitely be a great experience for her. The cookie selling wasn't my favorite part, but the cookies are delicious!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I was in brownies one year and hated every minute of it. I would never make my dd do it.

Answer by missanc at 10:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• I'm the mom of a junior and daisy we've been involved in girl scouts for 6 years now. its very different now than it was then. now for my junior its about leaderiship, learing that women/girls can set goals and how to take the steps to reach them. they learn about how media affects their lives, how to get along in a group and how their actions affects their world, and community. I see nothing negative in GS these and days and while it helps the troop, it isnt mandtory to sell cookies, but it does help them learn about finncial literacy, IF you as parent step back and let them take controll My daughter sold 300 this year door to door on her own.
    makeupmama214

Answer by makeupmama214 at 6:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• http://www.toledoblade.com/Editorials/2013/01/23/Cookies-and-more.html

I attached a timely editorial for you on this topic.  Also, my dau has been in scouts for 4 yrs. now.  She has learned a lot of things, had some great experiences & has a lot of fun too.  Why not let her try it for a while & see how it goes. 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• The only con I know of--which is only hearsay b/c we are not in GS just yet. The troop leader I have met says that she WILL not be doing the journey guides after this year. She says that planned parenthood is pushing their agenda through GS. They want the troop leaders to teach stuff that she isn't comfortable teaching her own child let alone someone else's child.

We will be joining later or I may form our own troop someday. We went as guests to a meeting last week and my kids had a blast.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2013