Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I just need some information or help from you ladies.

I am throwing a benefit dance for a 4 year old little girl that has Wilms Tumor and was wondering if anybody knew how I could get baskets or gift cards donated to raffle off at her benefit. Her family is stuggling and needs all the help they can get. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Any questions please private message me.

Answer Question

Asked by mimioester at 12:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Health

Level 12 (816 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • call around to local business and ask for the manager/owner and explain what you're doing.

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • You ask local businesses to donate baskets or gift cards. You also ask local businesses to donate food, drink, paper goods, etc.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • Local businesses are usually more than glad to help out with stuff like this when asked. Be sure to contact the big stores like Wal-Mart and Target as well. Not only will they sometimes donate gift cards, but they also give away a lot of the stuffthat is returned, nearly new, but not fit to be sold on the shelves because of damaged packaging or the like. Consider making a program to hand out at the benefit that lists all of the donors, and then be sure to tell the donors you will be doing that. Recognition (and free advertising) will go a long way in getting contributions. Many stores will also set up jars to take donations at the cash registers for children with medical problems or families who have lost their homes in a storm or something.

    Send me a private message if you need more help. I have a college degree in Nonprofit Organization Management, and part of what I studied was fundraising and grant writing.

    Answer by Ballad at 12:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • Bonkers. Anne took my answer. You ask.

    Answer by staciandababy at 12:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • Well, I mean she could just THINK on it reeeaallly hard and see if the stuff shows up on her porch but I figured asking might save her from a aneurism.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • Contact your local fraternal orders i.e. Lions, Eagles etc. The often donate money to causes.
    Also contact your local Boy Scouts, see if an Eagle Scout would be willing to help for his final project

    Talk to friends/ family that have used services such as bakers, photographers. Then hit those people up for donations. At your local bar, the karaoke people may also be willing to donate services.

    Rent a husband (handyman) is also good for a few bucks

    Answer by feralxat at 1:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • Most towns have a place that can point you in the direction you need. Ours if called First Call for Help. I would Google your area and see.

    Answer by m-avi at 9:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • You can go around to your public business's and ask for donations and tell them your cause also put coin cans at gas stations hospital or wherever there is a lot of traffic, people are always willing to put their extra change in those jars. I think it is a very nobel thing you are doing!

    Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 11:43 AM on Jan. 30, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.