How do I put on my happy face?

I don't want to be negative or have a bad attitude. I just got an invitation in 2 weeks to a wedding. My husbands brothers wedding. We had no idea he was getting married, he has been with his girlfriend for a couple years.

When we got married his mom & I had not been getting along. Not even a year before she threw a babyshower for a different brothers girlfriend, who was due 2 weeks before I was and I had my feelings hurt and told her so. She of course told her entire family. They all were very cold towards me at our wedding and we did not receive one gift, card or anything from any of his family, he has a very large family. If we go to the wedding and everyone goes all out for them of course we will both feel offended, I do not want to have a bad attitude. How do I grin and suck it up?

It is such short notice I don't even want to go.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Relationships

• if it was me, i would go, just to say i went and not give them something more to talk about...and do the 5$ in a card lol....make a plate, take 2 bites and throw it away and then do it again..even with dessert :) i hope everything works out!
    newmom1978

Answer by newmom1978 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• In all honesty if it is that bad I would definitely not go, unless you are particularly close to his brother but it doesn't sound like you are. What's his family gonna do? Hate you? A little late for that it seems.....
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Not one gift or even card? Awww. Don't go.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• 1.) Don't go.

Or

2.) Toss a couple stiff ones back first
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• It's hard to deal with family problems. Our families can hurt us more than anybody else can. Family members know where our buttons are; hell, they had a hand in putting the buttons there. If you decide to go to the wedding--and the choice belongs to you and your husband, nobody else--just try to keep some perspective. It's not really important in the grand scheme of your lives. Yeah, it hurt that you didn't get gifts and cards; it totally sucked. But if they go all out for the brother, why bother getting offended? It's not worth your time. Easier said than done--my parents shower attention on their other grandkids and not on my daughter, and it's tough to take--but call it their loss and blow it off, then go home, roll your eyes, and move on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• There is nothing negative about your not wanting to spend time with people who were so incredibly rude to you
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I'd probably go but I wouldn't take a gift. I'd eat a lot of their food too just to make myself feel better but I can be juvenile sometimes!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Good idea. Go to the wedding drunk. Give them a card with $5 in it. You technically gave them something.  Or just don't go.

Answer by louise2 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Do you like your DH's Brother? If you do then go & ingore the shit out of the rest of the jerks. Wear something really nice. Have a drink before you go & have a great time! Show them that in the big realm of things that they mean NOTHING to you. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• are they trying to make ammends? otherwise dont go
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2013