Why do people not care about car seat safety?

It baffles my mind to the highest degree the way people shove their kids into a car, without any regard to what would happen if something smashed into them.

Out of the probably hundred windows I have peered into in public, I have seen maybe 2 that looked like they are in properly.

I am seriously asking, what goes through your mind when you don't do EVERYTHING to make sure your child is properly and safely restrained in a car??

This includes:

1 year olds in boosters.
Floppy car seats
Extremely loose straps
"Chest" clips at the belly button
3 year old in a seat belt (no booster)
FF not only before 30-35 lbs, but before even the legal limit of 20.
And it goes on, and on, and on, and on.

And question #2:

If someone KINDLY tries to help you, wouldn't you accept that advice and be thankful that you can now possibly SAVE their life????

Most people, in real life and on

Arkaidy

Asked by Arkaidy at 7:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• it baffles me too. i dont understand how people can be careless, and you know how people are, they dont want to hear anything bad. so even if you try to help theyll take it as an insult and ignore you. people baffle me sometimes
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Why are you peering into hundreds of cars windows?
    Anonymous

• LOL, cause I'm a freak. I'm always wondering how people restrain their kids.

I am working on mustering up the courage to approach people. I think I may put together a hand-out and put them on car windows, cause, maybe people just don't know, and if it saves one life, then that's what matters.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I am total stickler for tightening car seats like getting in the car, knee in the seat tightening. My hubbies nephew stopped over one day and when I went out to say hi to the little one the car seat was so loose that it easily pushed sideways, I took the toddler out of the seat and rehooked it telling Dad that he might as well just let him sit in the truck with no seat for all the good a loose seat was doing! I sometimes watch one of the other great nephews and every time mom drops him off she puts the seat in my car and every time I have to rehook it! I think that the carseat safety checks should be mandatory at least once for every parent so they at least see how to properly put seats in. When they are done locally there is always a report of about half being installed wrong.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• hmm... it depends on how you approached me... Mine are in boosters now- but I am sure I have been guilty of putting the car seat in too speedily. If you came up judgmental and attacking me for being incorrect it would overshadow your actually valuable and helpful advice... (notice that rudeness will make people shut down- and not help anyone)
    I would much prefer to find a brochure on my windshield with the facts on it to make me think rather than another mom walking up and saying (no m
    matter how nicely) " did you know you are doing it all wrong?" or you could just speak generally- such as act like you are talking to a lot of mothers that day to inform them of the risks of an improperly installed car seat- that way you make no comment on them in particular but you get a point across.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I never have, this is how i would approach you:

I would say hi, say you have a very beautiful baby, and "you know, i wanted to tell you something that I have learned recently that I thought you may not know" ... then I would tell you the info, and even offer my email address for more help.

I have even thought to go as far as offering to install the seat properly, anything I can.

I am all about a non-threatening approach, just mother to mother, kwim?

the last thing you said -- about acting like I'm just approaching a lot of mothers, I've actually thought of that and may do it. just get a clipboard, have all the info, and approach people. like my own safety check, LOL.

but I hate confrontation (at least face to face, lol) and i ALWAYS chicken out, even if the words are at the tip of my tongue.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• hey arkaidy did you order those car seat pamphlets i posted about in group? you should!! then you can give those out or leave them on cars!
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 8:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If you approached me and told me about their booster seats I would thank you for your concern, get in my car and wonder what the heck. I'm a big girl and think I can get my kids in their car seat safely without the car seat police looking through my windows. sorry but that is what I would do.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I always want to scream at these parents too, but I never say anything. Usually because I notice it when I'm driving next to them and think "You know, if I were to get into an accident with you and one of your kids were killed, you'd probably sue me EVEN THOUGH your 6 kids in a 2 door compact car weren't buckled up" ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• DLE4125 - if you have your kids belted in there safely - there would be no reason for me to approach you.

If you have a 2 yo in a booster, which is illegal, then you bet your ass I'd approach you.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2009