Has this ever happened to you?

Yesterday, at a local university, I was just sitting at a table reading the paper when 2 girls came over. One girl was just 18 & her friend, who was also blind, was 21. The 18 y/o asked if I wanted to look at some pictures & talk about their meanings. I thought it was for a class project, but as it turned out, they were part of a campus religious group. We had the most wonderful discussion about our faith & what each person got from believing, that it touched me deeply. As they were leaving, the 18 y/o old even asked me for a hug. Sweet girl. I ran into them as I was leaving & asked what made them pick me. She said they had even went upstairs, before coming back to me & that it must've been God's wish that we meet today. It was a very uplifting & cathartic experience. And let me just say, that I usually don't feel that comfortable just talking to anyone about my beliefs, but these girls made me feel so at ease, that it was remarkable the things we talked about. Has this ever happened to you?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can't say I've ever been approached in public by people who wanted to talk about Jesus, except a few who wanted to lay hands on me and ask Jesus to take away my blindness. That annoys me because I don't think of my blindness as something that needs to be healed, and many of the "healers" seem disappointed when their prayers don't immediately work. It's inspiring to hear about a religious dicussion with strangers that was so uplifting. Thanks for sharing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• No, I don't talk religion with strangers. I stop them dead in their tracks. I'm glad that it was a good experience for you though :)
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• We had a religious group on campus that had a whiteboard and dry erase markers and requesting people go and write was jesus means to you. They selected me and seemed a little miffed when I wrote Imaginary. They erased it as I left.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Not in public but to my home. a Jehovah witness couple came by shared their literature, we talked for a couple hours than they came back next week. We agreed they could come by once a week for study. When they talked about their beliefs we shared ours and this went on for months, than they stopped coming. We learned alot from their beliefs and they from us.

Its nice to hear stories of people sharing their beliefs instead of attacking each other for what they believe.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Apparently I have that "I'm okay to talk to" look b/c strangers are always striking up conversations with me but not often to that depth. I'm glad it was a good experience for you.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• The only people who proselytize on my campus are men, and they seem to focus most of their attention on young, skinny girls in short skirts or tight leggings. I'm a little too old for their target audience.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• No this hasn't happened to me, I'm not sure how I'd  feel about it because I'm a very private person. I'm curious about what the pictures were about.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• That seems very sweet mrsmom thanks for sharing. Most people are strangers now it's nice to know people can just have a conversation with each other.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I have, but it's rare for me to feel comfortable. Sometimes I think it is because they aren't comfortable either, but doing what they believe to be the right thing to do. I have reached a point in my spiritual life where often there are not words, so I cannot have a discussion about it, if that makes sense.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• LOL, YES! One weekend I was approached by FIVE different people asking if I would like to be saved by Jesus. This was at two different malls too. Finally I asked the last girl if she saw something I didn't.... LOL! I couldn't help but LMAO.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2013