Do you drink Gatorade? Or Powerade? Did you know about this?

Gatorade to Remove Controversial Ingredient

PART OF THE ARTICLE: PepsiCo Inc. is removing a controversial ingredient from its Gatorade sports drink in response to customer complaints.

Molly Carter, a spokeswoman for the company, said Friday that the removal of brominated vegetable oil was in the works over the past year after the company began "hearing rumblings" from consumers about the ingredient. She said it wasn't a reaction to a recent petition on Change.org by a Mississippi teenager.

The ingredient is also used in other drinks, including some flavors of Powerade made by rival Coca-Cola Co. The Atlanta-based company did not say whether it would remove the ingredient from Powerade as well but noted that it takes customer concerns into account when looking for ways to improve its drink

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/gatorade-remove-controversial-ingredient-18317959

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Interesting. I had no idea what it was so I had to Google it. It doesn't sound like something I'd like to ingest, but my only concern is what else is out there that we don't know about? Every day it's something new we are finding out about.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• NO
    it has red dye #40 in it

google
    red 40 lake,red 40 allergy,red 40 side effects
    and see what this chemical is and how it can have very negative reactions to a human body
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• also others that are very common are
    blue 1
    yellow 5

but their are others
    if the label says a color and it is spelled out with a number behide it
    avoid eating it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• they've always had crap in them...and when this is taken out, they will still have crap in them. i find it funny that ppl get upset about one ingredient when the majority of the ingredients are just as bad.

its like with trans fats...yay they're gone and now i can eat as many french fries & potato chips as i want cause the unhealthy ingredient is gone...oh wait, they're still bad for me?! AND they dont taste as good...yay?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I've been reading about these dyes paxi. It's just too amazing to me. To think this could be the causes of my asthma and allergies, especially with all the gummy bears I eat....

I thank you for the information!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• i used to be on migraine meds
    then i changed diet- no dyes
    and now i get a migraine sometimes once a month always with period
    but zero migraines otherwise
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I did drink those sports drinks till I found out. I don't anymore. I signed a petition asking the companies to take the crap out of their drinks, but I don't think anything ever came of it. So I vote against them by not spending my dollars.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I don't drink it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• i don't drink poweraide, it makes me sick with the aftertaste it has. but we live on gatoraide. we buy it the powder form, i'm going to have to look at it again.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• We only do the Powerade Zero during softball season. Didn't read the article, but have heard about the dyes in the past. There's just so many things out there to cause potential harm, I guess unless there's a recall, I kinda tune some of it out. :/
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2013