What are other pain relief options for labor and delivery other than the epidural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Yes but, they're basically just pain relief drugs that make you tired.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Are you afraid of getting an epidural? I understand if you do but they put it in after labor starts & between contractions so you only feel coldness & a pinch. You are more in pain with the contractions at that point to care about how the epidural feels. It works like a Miracle! I had it for both deliveries.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• You can get analgesics but they are short lasting and make you sleepy. They are more often used when someone wants a 'break' from labor vs. a pain free labor.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Breathing and focusing on something besides contractions.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I would highly suggest movement. The more you move walk squat roll to find a comfy position and concentrate on the surging oxytocen the better you will feel. The pain meds made me hurt and sick with my first. Plus they would not let me get up to move and so after 6 hours of laboring on my back I got the epidural. With my second I just kept moving with intermittent monitoring and telling the dr/ midwives what to do was the best thing I ever did
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 10:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Ditto to the mom who said movement!!! Don't lay down on the bed - unless you have tried other positions and that is the most comfortable. Once I laid down, I was too tired to move and too sore. But while I was up and moving, I was almost pain free. Find a position that works for you and refuse to change it. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I'm not sure if this is the right name, as I haven't used it, but hypno birth - you basically practice hypnotizing yourself through the pain by focusing elsewhere. Look it up. I have friends who have used it and swear by it!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I used the Bradley method. I suggest reading the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. It lays out all of the options, the pros and cons, and helps you make an informed decision. The biggest issue I have with IV drugs is that they reach the baby faster and in some cases that might be a very bad thing. Epidurals on the other hand cross the placenta very slowly.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Water (warm shower was wonderful for me), repositioning, breathing, moving/walking, hypnotisim, massage, redirection. There are a bunch of options other than drugs and I choose them because I did not like the possible side effects of the drugs on myself and/or my unborn child.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I had Fentanil twice during my labor because I spent a long time at it and needed a break. The drugs were just enough to take the edge off the pain so I could refuel and refocus. Otherwise, I just kept walking and also used a labor chair, which had a seat and back attached to a metal frame with heavy rubber straps so that the chair would bounce and rock with me. The breathing exercises that had felt so silly during the birthing classes worked wonders for me because I could focus on breathing the right way and not concentrate on the pain of the contractions. I ended up having a C-section, and I don't even really remember getting the epidural, so it must not have been too traumatic. *Smile.* I would encourage you to talk to a nurse at the hospital or find a book such as "What to ExpectWhen You're Expecting" that goes into detail about your options.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2013