Tummy pain and gas adult content

LĂ©onie has always complained about tummy pain.

When we ask her to describe it she shows us that it's her whole tummy (with one exception when it was specifically her right side and it was diagnosed and treated as a UTI). Sometimes it seems as if she gets relief by peeing. She never has diarrhea. Here's the TMI part - her poop comes out in torpedos, huge and stiff. We've tried getting her to go more often but she refuses.

Another thing is that she's very gassy. It's no laughing matter for her to fart all the time... and it stinks. Truly stinks. I've half come to the conclusion that it's the gas that's giving her pain but ... what's giving her the gas?

She isn't a picky eater and eats everything she gets served. She's also a very active little girl.

We've had blood tests and urine tests done. She's had X-rays and ultrasounds and everything comes back normal. So, had anybody any ideas or suggestions about what can be causing her gas and what can be done about it. I hate to see her suffer ...

winterglow

Asked by winterglow at 11:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Could it be an allergy? I have an adult friend with a glutenallergy who says she gets terrible gas when she goe off her diet. Or maybe she has trouble with cruciferous vegetables? It might be worth eliminating one food at a time and seeing what happens. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Have you tried eliminating dairy? It could be a dairy intolerance. It doesn't always cause diarrhea- it can cause constipation and gas as well. It would be worth a try.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Try some milk of magnesia. Works wonders when you're uncomfortable and/or your poops are hard.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Sounds like IBS

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Sounds to me like she is holding her BM tell she can not hold it no more. That probably is the pain and the gas. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Sounds exactly like my DD1 and she has adjusted well to eating a prune a day, only having water with dinner and taking fiber gummies.
    It's not a perfect fix but her doc said to keep her intestines well hydrated so to make sure whe has at least 1 full glass of water a day she only gets water with dinner... dairy is cut a bit (only milk with breakfast)- not on yougurt though because the live cultures are healthy for that part of the body.
    She is only 4 and getting her to poop use to be a fight but since you put this in tweens I'm thinking giving her all the facts straight forward on why holding it is making her worse should work for you. I used prizes and praise to get my gal on board to not holding it. lol
    IDK, it's hard to figure out what to do since we aren't the ones going through it. GL
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Sounds like she could benefit from a probiotic and some fiber.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• do you eat a lot of yogurt? i know you said you love dairy, but that could just mean cheese and milk. have you ever done the activa thing? i put cereal into my yogurt. you could try putting the fiber one, special k, or any other kind you like. (the kids cereal doesn't taste to good in them though)
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• It sounds like not enough water to soften those up then also maybe look at her diet and try removing switching. And supplementing things until she finds relief. .does she eat lots if bread meat and packaged food and cannedfood or tons of dairy?
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 7:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• @ But_Mommie - I sure hope it isn't that. We get through a lot of dairy of all types. That would be one of the hardest things to eliminate but if it has to be done, it has to be done.

@ Ballad - I've wondered about that, the gluten allergy, I mean. Well, to be more precise, I've wondered about Celiac disease but as she has no other symptoms ... You're right, she may be allergic to something else so it's time I started thinking and acting on that. All I can be fairly sure of is that it's not cruciferous veg becase we don't eat them all the year round (we stick to seasonal, local producs and we don't get them in the summer).
    winterglow

Comment by winterglow (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2013