Do you think that "I didn't have a babysitter" is a good excuse to send your kid to school when they still have the Norovirus?

Do you think knowingly spreading it to the rest of the kids at school is fair?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yeah, great, let's expose all the other kids, too. Swell idea.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Wow I was a single parent and my son had cancer. When the sick days were gone they were gone and I had to drag him to work or hope someone from the church could watch him. No excuse but sometimes its not in the cards for the parent to stay home. Loss of job was not an option.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• What exactly is norovirus - pukes & runs? Then absoultely not - most schools have a "puke & diarrhea free for 24 hours" rule so they'd be called to get the kid anyway.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Parents at dd's school received an email and letter telling them that under no circumstances can a child return to school until they haven't puked or had diarrhea for at least 24 hours. We have had a recent outbreak at the school, and they are now cracking down on parents and kids. If a child is still sick when the return to school, the parent will be called to come pick them up.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• no. and its sad that some employers are asses about kids being sick, its not like parents want their kids to be sick.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I was fired from a job when my son was young because he got hand foot and mouth disease from daycare. It's highly contagious and no one could take him. My boss (I worked at a small family owned hardware store) thought I was making this up, even though I had doctors notes and everything (I had his doctor write me a note as well), and fired me.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I'll go for the obvious answer....

No.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Hell no!!! Parents who do that are crazy.

Answer by louise2 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• mom should have called into work and kept the kid home
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2013

• School is not a babysitter. School is for learning, and other kids who get sick because of exposure to one child's bugs are not able to learn. Then they'll need babysitters, and some of them might go to school sick, so the virus spreads to more kids ...
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2013