What can you do to soothe a baby with acid reflex?

I took my 2 month old to the hospital the other day and he is diagnosed with acid reflex, they prescribed him Zantac syrup twice a day and it is definitely helping but he still seems like he has an upset tummy. I have also tried gripe water any other suggestions?

He hasn't been sleeping to well during the day for his naps. Like 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there.

Lilbabimama0712

Asked by Lilbabimama0712 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't lay him flat for naps. Let him sleep upright in a bouncer or swing.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I would bring him to another qualified Pediatrician & have him reevaluated. You are supposed to follow up ER visits with a Dr. He is way too young to not be sleeping. If you are nursing then adjust your diet. If you are formula feeding then switch to a formula (boil the water first) for reflux.  Are you burping the baby enough? Is it trapped air that's forcing out what he is drinking instead?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• My 2nd DD slept a lot in her swing or sock n play napper for the reason that flat was just so uncomfortable. The meds will only do so much. IF you are bf'ing you need to alter your diet to blan foods and if you are using formula try a different one, I actually love Simlac Organic. (DD2 is now 7 months and on formula) With both LO's I use Babies R Us brand gas relief, my oldest didn't have reflux or anything but it came in handy with her too. lol
    As for the baby being to young to not sleep, neither of mine are day nappers... not until my first started walking and stuff did she want to sleep other than at night. lol But no one can sleep easy when they aren't feeling well and extra cuddle time will go along way.
    DD2 has grown out of hers a lot already- some things they just have to grow out of. :/
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Both of my kids were refluxers as infants. At three and a half months old, my oldest son was screaming nearly 20 hours a day, and he didn't sleep for more than a few minutes at a time. That's when I finally got referred to a pediatric GI specialist. He was on Zantac for all of a week, and it didn't do much for him. We switched him to Prevacid, and it helped so much. We added Reglan, and it took away the symptoms completely. He was a different child. He was sleeping again, he was nursing again, he wasn't crying all day and night. It was a dramatic change when he was finally on medicines that worked. I would go back to the doctor and tell him that the current treatment isn't helping enough.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I let him sleep in bouncer n swing which helps. And hes already been to his pediatrician, for follow up and he agreed to have him takr the zantac syrup, to see if it helps. tryed boiling water only gave him diarrhea, hes on nursery water n enfamil gentlease. of course i burp him, this is my second child. he sleeps but seems to fight it. N my five year off does wake him up. because hes loud lol, which doesn't help. But he does sleep very well
    Lilbabimama0712

Comment by Lilbabimama0712 (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Sleeps very well at night. the zantac has brought him back to his happy self, but i gotta give him gripe water as well. He hasnt spit up at all as much as he used to. i dropped the amt of formula he was receiving which also helped. i dont think its serious enough to take him to go see a gastrologist quite yet
    Lilbabimama0712

Comment by Lilbabimama0712 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• It is called reflux not reflex. Try googling it.
    Anonymous

• Seriously im on my phone, it auto corrected. u dont think i dont kno that. all the other moms knew what i was talking about.
    Lilbabimama0712

Comment by Lilbabimama0712 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Mylacon drops might help, or Gripewater, which is an herbal supplement. If you are breast feeding, try cutting out broccoli, along with onions, cauliflower, and cabbage, any vegetable from the cruciferous family. Also spicy foos. If you ar bottle feeding, there's are a variety of formulas that can be used. Keep trying different meds that might help, and like others have said, many babies grow out of acd reflux. One of the last things to develop before a baby is born is the valve between the stomach and the esophagus that keeps acids from bubbling up. As the baby grows and the valve gets stronger, acid reflux usually starts to subside.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• DD1 used that same formula and I l loved it!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2013