How long does cage/carrier training a puppy usually take?

My husband brought home Cocoa Bean. She is a Toy Chiweenie aka a Chihuahua/dachshund mix. She is so tiny and cute. I am working on carrier/cage training her for at night because she is so tiny. It is the safest thing for her. I have done the feeding about 90 minutes before putting her in. I potty her before she goes in. I put a shirt in there that smells like me and some toys but she will carry on for hours like she is dying. I know she is fine. How long will this process take? My other dogs are somewhat larger (a Jack Chi and a Rat Terrior) and sleep in dog beds or on colder nights in our beds (LOL) so this is new. Fingers crossed she catches on soon.

Mamaford2

Asked by Mamaford2 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Pets

• Does she have a dog bed in with her? Or that blanket she is on in your pic? If the other dogs are our all night it will take you longer. Separate the other 2 at night so she doesn't see them out.
    It's not easy but treat her like a baby and re assure and ween her off your support.
    I am so glad my puppy days are over! lol
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• The other two dogs run from her. LOL One sleeps in our room and the other sleeps in the bathroom. SOmeone else is telling me doing this with her is punishing her but being she is a Toy dog and so tiny it is for her safety and security and our piece of mind. I feel bad but in the end she will be fine.
    Mamaford2

Comment by Mamaford2 (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• How old is she? I have a chiweenie, got her at 7 weeks and she's now about 16 weeks (I don't remember and I didn't count). I didn't get a crate for her for a few weeks, so with what we were using I tried something new every few nights. What finally helped was putting a ticking alarm clock in her bed (she still sleeps with it), having a small radio on near her (because I found out she was used to a radio 24/7), and a heating pad under her bed because she was cold. She was sleeping good, just getting up to pee/poop a couple times a night, when we got her crate. The longest she can go now is 6 hours at night, if she doesn't eat or drink about 3 hours before bed. I don't crate her during the day unless we're going away and taking her along. This is our first small dog (we also have a lab and previous a german shorthair) so it's been a lot of trial & error with her!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• It's not a punishment! lol I use to have a small dog that the neighbors Rott was scared of! haha It just takes time, she will learn but it's seriously like another baby.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 3:43 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I believe she is about 2 months old. She still whines at night and if DH is here (he works out of town a lot) he gives in and brings her to our bed so then she thinks it is play time. LOL
    Mamaford2

Comment by Mamaford2 (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I was hoping she and one of the other dogs would bond and snuggle. Thor, our Jack Chi, is terrified of her and runs the other way. he is a bigger dog in comparison weighing in at about 20 pounds. Gracie, our Rat Terrior, might be a good candidate but she has some peculiar habits for a dog. And if she doesn't want to be bothered by Thor or cocoa will bark at them and chase them. she is the oldest at about 7 years of age. Well that is 7 in human years.
    Mamaford2

Comment by Mamaford2 (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Crate training will never happen if someone takes her out when she is whining. It basically training her to whine to get out. It took us a week to train our pup, but it was after the real puppy potty training phase. While we were potty training her she slept in her crate in our room. When she was potty trained we moved her out of our room and thats when the whining started. We fed her in her crate, took her out to go potty and then she went back in the crate in the living room and we all went to bed. She whined, but we knew that taking her out or even comforting her would only be helping us, not her. After about a week she learned that we go to bed in our crate and get out in the morning and the whining stopped.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• It takes different amounts of times for different dogs. Put her in there when she needs to be put in and leave her there until it is time to come out. Do not get her out, do not pay attention to her...ignore her! I've never had a dog to last more than a week.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2013