Is this a smart move, business wise?

so as some of you know, i created a Facebook page for my photography work. as a way of getting more "likes" (to get my name out there) i told my friends who liked my page that the first 20 would get a free photo session. there is a catch, that i havent shared yet, and that's that the free session requires my watermark. if they want logo-free pictures, then they would have to pay (but im not a professional so the price would be very reasonable) 

first, i know not all 20 are going to want a session. some live out of state, others are people that just liked for support reasons & have no interest in photography. of those 20, i would expect maybe 5 at most to request the free session.

second, is that a good business move? and obviously i'd wait til my Rebel gets here, not using my current Coolpix on others.

third- here's one of my latest pictures. i cant stop looking at it! 

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Money & Work

• First off you are a professional second this is a good Idea. Also you might want to try for a small schools photo contract it will get your name seen and more customers.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• If you are doing this to make money, then you are a professional. Don't sell yourself short.

Second, I would (in general) pretty much always have your watermark on the photos. I wouldn't provide any unwatermarked photos unless they were paid for and the person paid for a print release - a release that allows them to reprint your photos. It can be in an inconspicuous place on the photo,but I would always have my watermark there - especially on a digital copy that they might share online.

One other hint (and you can take or leave this, but it's just my opinion): Consider making your watermark slightly transparent and more centered on your photo. Right now, this photo - I could easily crop out your watermark and pretend it's my own photo. If you center your watermark, it's impossible to crop out and much more difficult to try to edit out with software. Transparent makes it less intrusive, but it's still obviously there.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• thanks for the watermark tips. ive been messing around on photoshop to get it where i want it but im still learning how to use photoshop. it took me a few tries just to get the background transparent lol! ill definitely start centering it.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• You can also use a watermarking program (I use Watermark Image - it's free), which usually will have a transparency option that you can play with to see it at different levels of transparency to pick which one you like best, and then you don't have to try to figure out how to do it. But I use that because I often upload batches of photos at once, and I prefer to apply my watermarks in batches so it does them all at once. I'm impatient like that. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I think it's a great idea. Also good advice about the watermark.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Yes it is a good idea.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Btw love the photo. Good job.
    booklover545