Need help with a 2 yr old

Im at my breaking point and dont know what to do anymore. He doesnt listen whatsoever. In the stores he runs off and hides from me..then laughs when I find him. If I attempt to strap him in the cart he screams his head off so bad that the whole store can hear him. I cant exactly leave the store because Im a single parent who gets no help from anyone with him. Which is fine..except for these trips to the store lately. The tantrums, crying and attitude towards me are completely out of control. Ive tried talking, timeouts, taking toys away. Has anyone had this problem with their toddler? How did you handle it? I dont spank my child...he has me thinking maybe he needs one though. Im tired of having to apologize to everyone around me for the way he acts all the time. How can I get him to listen to me again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hear you on this one. I have a two year old son as well. He is a very determined, strong willed little boy, and if he doesn't like something, EVERYONE knows about it. I am glad that he has a strong personality, but when he uses it to be deliberately naughty...that is something I will not put up with. I think that spanking, when done in moderation and never in anger, can be a very good discipline tool. If you are uncomfortable with spanking, have you tried gently smacking the back of his hands? Not hard enough to hurt, just to get his attention and let him know you mean business. If I did not occasionally discipline my child, he would be a little terror. Because he is disciplined, we get complimented on how well-behaved he is (most of the time, lol).
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 8:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• (cont) I think what really helped was also to spend some time in the car talking about what we were going to do, and how I expected him to act while we were there. As well as what the consequences would be if he misbehaved. I know that most people think that little ones will not understand when we talk to them like that, but they really can comprehend if you make it clear to them.
    If he starts to give you grief in the middle of a shopping trip, a little swat on the tush might be just the thing to make shopping bearable. Nip that behavior in the bud, mama!
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 8:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Timing is everything when taking toddlers on errands. The morning is usually the best time to run errands. Being that you're a single mom this may not always be possible do so when you can. One stop shopping is always a good thing as well. Too much in/out of the car can make a two year old very cranky. Bring along a snack/drink/small toys to distract him with. Praise him for being a good boy, for walking/sitting well etc. If you can get him involved in the errand that's great too. Ask him the color of things or to point out something to you.
    Put him in a stroller or cart right away. Don't give him the chance to run from you. If you're going to use a cart, go ahead and let him walk with you from the car to the cart. Praise him for being good, for walking and holding your hand etc.
    Anyone who has children and has gone through "the terrible twos" will understand so try not to worry. Just do what you have to do quickly.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Spank him. Works on my hard-headed 2 year old.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I would definitely try the ideas twinclubmom said, mainly because I've had to do some of those with my 2-year-old step-daughter as well. If we go to the store with her, and she starts the screaming tantrums, usually, I just go about my business if her dad isn't with me. Sometimes she gets distracted. Other times she keeps up. Oh well. We also, from time to time, let her down to help push the cart. She "helps" pay the cashier. Sometimes it's easier for all if the kid "helps" you. You can enforce that in your home too. Have him help you clean stuff, like pick up toys and whatnot. Good luck.
    10Rah26

Answer by 10Rah26 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• We are going through the same thing at our house with our 2 year old. These days, it seems like she does the opposite of what I want or need her to do. I give Bella a "list" in the store to help keep her occupied, or I'll let her bring a book or something to look at. If she is entertained, she is fine, but if she gets bored, watch out!! I also agree with the "don't give him a chance to run from you". He doesn't like being in the cart? Too bad, cause it is for his own safety. There are just some things that you can't compromise on. Good luck, I hope we all make it through the 2's, lol.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 8:30 PM on Feb. 14, 2009